Re: New member, kitty with dilated cardiomyopathy

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      My cat also was diagnosed with dilated HCM at age 14 after he threw a
      blood clot. He was rushed to emergency hospital and had
      echocardiogram on the heart. The vets said he had pretty late stage
      disease and only gave him a couple months to live based on his heart
      condition. He was on heparin injections every 8 hours (for first 3
      months until I discontinued it) which reduced the likelihood of
      another clot, although they said it was still extremely likely he
      would get another clot eventually which would be fatal (or require
      euthanasia). I immediately did a lot of research and when he came
      home a week later, I put him on a number of supplements which I
      believe helped him tremendously and enabled his next 15 months to be
      very high quality, happy ones. I figured it was worth a try to
      supplement, especially since they changed their prognosis from
      a "couple months" to "about a week" after it was apparent the
      circulation was not returning to his leg. Every situation is
      different. I would consult with a homeopathic vet who is knowledgable
      about feline nutrition and see what they recommend for your kitty,
      since he is still pretty young, and quite heavy, he may have
      different needs. (mine was only about 7 or 8 pounds) If you want to
      read more about the supplements I gave Ziggy please scroll down to
      last link on his website (Sept 2004). Best of luck with Starbucks,
      what a lovely name. I wish him many more years to come!