Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [FH] Heart/Clotting Condition

Expand Messages
  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Hi Sara, Welcome to the list, though I m sorry you had to join us -- ... Several others have given you some good information, so I won t elaborate too much on
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2005
      Hi Sara,

      Welcome to the list, though I'm sorry you had to join us --

      > Hi my name is Sara and I have been told over the weekend that today I have
      > to make a decision about my cat Sparky. He was diagnosed late Friday night
      > when I brought him in with a Heart and Blood Clot problem. He was in great
      > pain. The clot passed down to his hind legs. He is on Heparin and a medication
      > break his clot down, and on maximum dose. And couple of other meds that I
      > don't know the names of. He also has Hyperthyroidism (for 3 years on
      > Tapazole). He seemed to be more comfortable yesterday and has been purring for the
      > past couple of days. He is about 13 years old and I am clinging on to a last
      > glimmer of hope that there is something we can do for him. I was told if I
      > prolonged his life after today that it would not be a pretty sight, as of
      > yesterday there still was little or no pulse to his hind legs. Thank you for any
      > help you can suggest.

      Several others have given you some good information, so I won't elaborate too
      much on what they've already said. I will say, though, that the decision is
      yours to make, not your vet or anyone else, and you know Sparky better than

      A clot is a severe complication, but cats can and do develop collateral
      circulation. Even those who do not make a full recovery (partial paralysis, limb
      loss) can still enjoy a good quality of life -- a lot depends on the cat. Some
      cats, like some people, prefer to keep going even when they're very sick.

      I don't think any of us would ever advocate leaving an animal in continuing
      pain, but many of us have been told we have to "make a decision" only to have
      our kitties go on to fight many more battles. In making your decision, you
      might want to consider the following:

      - Is Sparky in pain? If so, can this pain be well controlled with medication
      and do you have the time and resources to make sure he gets that medication
      on time? If his pain can't be controlled with meds or you are unable to make
      sure he can be properly medicate, then you do need to consider euthanasia.

      - How mobile is Sparky? Is he able to move himself to food, water and
      litterbox? Does he need your help to do these things? If he does, can you provide
      him that help or do you need to leave him alone for hours at a time (because
      of work or whatever)? Again, if he needs this help but it can't be provided,
      then euthanasia might be the right choice for him.

      Just being critically ill is not, by itself, a mandate to euthanize an
      animal. Pain management, the ability to provide nursing care and to some extent
      prognosis all need to be considered.

      I hope this helps ... I'll be thinking of you and Sparky.


      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

      - Anatole France

      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.