Re: Clot question

  • ireneboater
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005
      Every kitty is different. I live in fear that in 2 weeks Scratchy
      will have a clot. He has had 4 clots in a period of 4 months and
      then some other complications. He has recovered very well from the
      saddle thrombosis (2) and the front legs clotting as well (2). He
      had sudden blindness and recovered within 24 hours. Other people
      have had as many success stories as well as not having them. I was
      told by my vet the first saddle thrombosis that he had a 30% chance
      of living and 50% chance that he would be able to walk. He would
      have more thrombsis even with medicine helping the clotting. He is
      on a lot of thinning medication. He also went into congestive heart
      failure.

      Hope that helps.
      Irene and Scratchy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "vickie" <vickiej@e...> wrote:
      > What are the odds of a clot happening, or a saddle thrombosis?
      >
      > If a saddle thrombosis happens is there any hope? What can be
      done?

      > What about kidney problems do to the meds, how likely is this?
      >
      > The only thing I've been told is that his heart will just stop,
      unless he gets
      > a clot.
      >
      > On top of all this Baby is also diabetic.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Vickie and Baby
      > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
      > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
      > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

    • protectanimals
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2005
        (if you already know Monkey's story, you may want to skip this post!
        sent the other person on the list who asked about clots a private
        email
        about Monkey, but since the question has come up again, I thought I
        should post).

        I know that it is terrifying imagining a beloved cat having a blood
        clot. I hope no one else reading this has to go thru it (or go thru
        it
        again). I don't have any knowledge of what the statistical odds are,
        but I can describe our personal experience.

        Yes, there is hope if a saddle thrombosis happens. As Irene said,
        her
        cat has had two. My cat Monkey had one a month ago and lived through
        it. She has full function back in one of the rear legs and some hip
        function back in the other. She has pulse back down to the bottom of
        both legs.

        This was her second clot. The first was about a month prior, to her
        front leg, and she was using it again in two days.

        We were very lucky in that there was not pain either time. Monkey
        was
        understandably scared, but that's it. If she did have painful clots
        where she was in agony, we would have euthanized her for sure. They
        say she had no pain because the blockage was partial, although the
        paralysis was total for awhile.

        Like Irene, we do live with the knowledge that it could happen again.

        The second was a day less than a month after the first. We have just
        passed the month mark since the second!

        To treat, Monkey has had a combination of anticoagulants, massage (by
        me) to restore circulation, and some TTouch (by me, the practitioner
        in
        town is a friend and showed me some things). We are researching
        other
        supplements recommended by this group and by a holistic vet. We are
        also researching acupuncture.

        The vets tell me that is it very rare for a cat to survive throwing a
        blood clot as there is usually extreme pain. So, unless someone else
        here has other info, I guess Monkey and Scratchy are rare cases, and
        do remember someone else mentioning something on this list the past
        month that sounded like a blood clot. I suppose the cardiologists
        see
        more of it than the regular vets.

        Sounds like Baby has a lot going on for you to deal with. Hopefully
        you will never have to deal with a clot. Monkey had the HCM
        diagnosis
        since 1998 and was completely asymptomatic (on meds) until the first
        clot in Feb. 05. Hope this helps....