Clot question

  • vickie
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005
      What are the odds of a clot happening, or a saddle thrombosis?

      If a saddle thrombosis happens is there any hope? What can be done?

      What about kidney problems do to the meds, how likely is this?

      The only thing I've been told is that his heart will just stop, unless he gets
      a clot.

      On top of all this Baby is also diabetic.

      Thanks,
      Vickie and Baby
      In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

    • Natalie A.Sera
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        I asked my vet just those same questions this morning (this is all very
        new to me). She said that it was completely unpredictable -- some of
        the cats live a fairly long time, and others expire almost immediately.

        One thing that happens is that the heart simply stops. So you wake up
        one morning, and the cat is dead. It sounds to me like this is a pretty
        peaceful death -- I don't want my cat to die, but I DO want her death
        to be peaceful.

        Other times the cat throws clots -- they can go to the heart, the
        lungs, the brain, or to the place where the femoral arteries split off
        (The saddle). Sometimes, they kill the cat immediately, and sometimes
        they simply cause the cat a lot of pain, and/or, in the case of a
        stroke, severe dysfunction. Treating clots is an owner decision.
        Sometimes they can be dissolved, and function returns to normal.
        Sometimes they are large, but can be surgically removed, if that's the
        owner's choice. However, once a clot has occurred, the risk of
        reoccurrence is high.

        I would never presume to tell anyone what to do about their cat. I
        think that each owner must go through a lot of self-examination about
        their relationship with the cat.

        If Tata or Tule throw a clot, I'm leaning toward euthanasia, simply
        because I can't stand the idea of my babies in intolerable and
        incurable pain (I say incurable, because the root cause of the pain
        will not go away, even if the pain is palliated for a while). And I
        think relieving their discomfort is more important than me having them
        around to kiss and stroke -- I know that I still have a relationship
        with my kitties that have passed on, and all my kitties will always
        remain in my heart.

        But you need to think about it, and do the right thing for YOU and YOUR
        cat -- and you may not choose as I might. Most important thing, I
        think, is that you be at peace in your heart with your decisions about
        your kitty -- love it, and keep it comfortable and happy, and treasure
        each day -- that's what life is all about, isn't it?

        Natalie ._c- coming to terms with feline heart disease -- Tata is
        stabilizing, and while I know her days are numbered, I'm glad I was
        able to save her for at least a little longer!

        On May 2, 2005, at 7:04 PM, vickie wrote:

        > What are the odds of a clot happening, or a saddle thrombosis?
        >
        > If a saddle thrombosis happens is there any hope? What can be done?
        >
        > What about kidney problems do to the meds, how likely is this?
        >
        > The only thing I've been told is that his heart will just stop, unless
        > he gets
        > a clot.
        >
        > On top of all this Baby is also diabetic.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Vickie and Baby
        > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
        > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
        > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
        > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

        > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
        > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
        > feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • ireneboater
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          Every kitty is different. I live in fear that in 2 weeks Scratchy
          will have a clot. He has had 4 clots in a period of 4 months and
          then some other complications. He has recovered very well from the
          saddle thrombosis (2) and the front legs clotting as well (2). He
          had sudden blindness and recovered within 24 hours. Other people
          have had as many success stories as well as not having them. I was
          told by my vet the first saddle thrombosis that he had a 30% chance
          of living and 50% chance that he would be able to walk. He would
          have more thrombsis even with medicine helping the clotting. He is
          on a lot of thinning medication. He also went into congestive heart
          failure.

          Hope that helps.
          Irene and Scratchy

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "vickie" <vickiej@e...> wrote:
          > What are the odds of a clot happening, or a saddle thrombosis?
          >
          > If a saddle thrombosis happens is there any hope? What can be
          done?

          > What about kidney problems do to the meds, how likely is this?
          >
          > The only thing I've been told is that his heart will just stop,
          unless he gets
          > a clot.
          >
          > On top of all this Baby is also diabetic.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Vickie and Baby
          > Beware of ISS/VAS cancer that kills cats! www.vas-awareness.org
          > Don't give shots in the SCRUFF. www.catshots.com
          > In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
          > Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

        • protectanimals
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2005
            (if you already know Monkey's story, you may want to skip this post!
            sent the other person on the list who asked about clots a private
            email
            about Monkey, but since the question has come up again, I thought I
            should post).

            I know that it is terrifying imagining a beloved cat having a blood
            clot. I hope no one else reading this has to go thru it (or go thru
            it
            again). I don't have any knowledge of what the statistical odds are,
            but I can describe our personal experience.

            Yes, there is hope if a saddle thrombosis happens. As Irene said,
            her
            cat has had two. My cat Monkey had one a month ago and lived through
            it. She has full function back in one of the rear legs and some hip
            function back in the other. She has pulse back down to the bottom of
            both legs.

            This was her second clot. The first was about a month prior, to her
            front leg, and she was using it again in two days.

            We were very lucky in that there was not pain either time. Monkey
            was
            understandably scared, but that's it. If she did have painful clots
            where she was in agony, we would have euthanized her for sure. They
            say she had no pain because the blockage was partial, although the
            paralysis was total for awhile.

            Like Irene, we do live with the knowledge that it could happen again.

            The second was a day less than a month after the first. We have just
            passed the month mark since the second!

            To treat, Monkey has had a combination of anticoagulants, massage (by
            me) to restore circulation, and some TTouch (by me, the practitioner
            in
            town is a friend and showed me some things). We are researching
            other
            supplements recommended by this group and by a holistic vet. We are
            also researching acupuncture.

            The vets tell me that is it very rare for a cat to survive throwing a
            blood clot as there is usually extreme pain. So, unless someone else
            here has other info, I guess Monkey and Scratchy are rare cases, and
            do remember someone else mentioning something on this list the past
            month that sounded like a blood clot. I suppose the cardiologists
            see
            more of it than the regular vets.

            Sounds like Baby has a lot going on for you to deal with. Hopefully
            you will never have to deal with a clot. Monkey had the HCM
            diagnosis
            since 1998 and was completely asymptomatic (on meds) until the first
            clot in Feb. 05. Hope this helps....