Re: vet tech/cat sitter in nyc

  • ireneboater
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      I have the same problem....

      Scratch hates the vet's place and he hates new people. I got a
      friend to help me but she couldn't pill him b/c he was so upset. He
      didn't recognizer her and started hissing at her and freaked out. No
      pills that night for him.

      I'm just wondering could or should I bring him with me to the hotel?
      The drive is around 2 hours.

      Irene

      i thought about leaving her at my vets but i think being crated
      > would stress her and there woudl be no one around at night to
      check on her. i
      > was wondering if maybe somebody new of a vet tech/nurse who pet
      sits new
      > york city? i know its a long shot but i'm running out of ideas...
      > thanks
      > kate and izzy
    • Lois Benes
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        Irene, there are motels that will accept traveling animals. AAA will have a
        booklet on who and where. If Scratch doesn’t like to drive, break him in
        with small trips around the block and praise him much. I make 1 hour trips
        with both of my cats and only the first time was a struggle. Now they just
        curl up and enjoy the vibrations. I do this rather than hire the local vet
        tech that pet sits here in the neighborhood because of a VERY bad outcome I
        had with my DSH (Elijah) and the pet sitter. I’ve never gotten over it.
        Her refusal to follow instructions, which included calling me if there was a
        problem, cost the life of my beloved pet. Good luck. Lois

      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          Irene,

          If you're looking for places that accept pets, I have a bunch of links here -
          http://www.magdrl-nj.com/links2.html#travel

          Sue

          Irene, there are motels that will accept traveling animals. AAA will have a
          booklet on who and where. If Scratch doesn't like to drive, break him in
          with small trips around the block and praise him much. I make 1 hour trips
          with both of my cats and only the first time was a struggle. Now they just
          curl up and enjoy the vibrations. I do this rather than hire the local vet
          tech that pet sits here in the neighborhood because of a VERY bad outcome I
          had with my DSH (Elijah) and the pet sitter. I've never gotten over it.
          Her refusal to follow instructions, which included calling me if there was a
          problem, cost the life of my beloved pet. Good luck. Lois

        • Natalie A.Sera
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            On May 2, 2005, at 12:32 PM, ireneboater wrote:
            > Scratch hates the vet's place and he hates new people. I got a
            > friend to help me but she couldn't pill him b/c he was so upset. He
            > didn't recognizer her and started hissing at her and freaked out. No
            > pills that night for him.
            >
            > I'm just wondering could or should I bring him with me to the hotel?
            > The drive is around 2 hours.

            Dunno what your travel/business situation is, but some hotels are very
            pet-friendly. Motel 6 and La Quinta come to mind -- I don't know if
            they exist on the east coast.

            If you need to leave a cat during the day, they want it confined to a
            tent or enclosure -- but that's because they don't want the cat running
            out the door when the housekeepers come in to clean. (And neither do
            you!!) Alternatively, you can leave the "do not disturb" sign up all
            day, but that's a little nervewracking -- someone might come in anyway.

            HTH,

            Natalie ._c-