Question regarding use of steroids with DCM and about DCM in general

  • kristnam73
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      Hi,

      I'm really glad to have found this group. I have a 2 year old cat
      named Simon who was recently diagnosed with FIP and dilated
      cardiomyopathy. Both of my vets believe that the DCM was caused by
      the FIP. Because he was recently in the hospital for acute
      gastritis, they have taken him off his normal daily dose of 5mg of
      Prednisone. He's also currently taking 100mg of Theophylline, 50mg
      of Pentoxifylline TAD, and 1mg of Enalapril. I'm supplementing his
      wet food with taurine. Because of the FIP, Simon really needs to be
      on a glucocorticoid. He's being put on human interferon starting
      tomorrow and we have feline interferon arriving from London in a
      week. We're following the protocol of Dr. Ishida and Dr. Addie who
      have been doing some experimental work with cats who have FIP. They
      both recommend using Prednisone at 2mg/kg once daily with the dosage
      tapered down to .5mg/kg every other day after remission. They also
      say that a one-time intrathoracic or intraperitoneal injection of
      dexamethasone can be administered at 1mg/kg. From what I've read
      online, it seems like dexamethasone is not as hard on the heart as
      the Prednisone. Have any of you had to give a steroid to a cat with
      a heart condition? What steroid did you give? What things do I
      need to be on the lookout for while he's taking the steroid?

      And are there any recent advances in the treatment of DCM? I've
      found a lot of information on HCM but very little on DCM – mainly
      just that it's become pretty rare since pet food manufacturers have
      started adding it to cat food.

      Thanks,
      Kristina

      PS - If any of you ever has a cat that's diagnosed with FIP, I
      strongly recommend this site:
      http://www.dr-addie.com/