Where to leave the cat

  • meredityok@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2005
      I wanted to respond to the questions about where to leave the cat when away,
      because I have dealt with this issue so much, just in terms of going to work.
      I just want to share my personal experience on this issue and want to say
      that while I have developed some strong opinions about it, what I have decided is
      best for Monkey isn't necessarily what would be right for anyone else's
      cat....but my information/thought process might help someone else.

      As I've said, but the new people don't know, I work for a vet. So, when
      Monkey first had her saddle thrombosis, she came to work with me every day. At
      first it seemed like the best place for her...if she got into crisis, she would
      have a vet readily available. Even though I work in the front, not the back,
      there would hopefully be someone to hear her if she threw a painful clot. I
      could look in on her when I had time and spend lunch hour with her. And, not
      to sound crass, but if she needed euthanasia, we would be right there at the
      vets.

      As I say, in the beginning, it seemed best for her to be at work with me.
      After a couple weeks, probably coinciding with when she started to feel better
      (when circulation returned to that second rear leg), she responded negatively
      to being at work.....consistently hiding under a towel, not eating all day, and
      fighting me in the morning to get into the crate.

      After about a week of this, I (terrified) took the plunge to try to leave her
      home more, at least on days my boyfriend is home for part of the day. She is
      mostly staying home now and is much less stressed and eating more. When no
      one is home, she stays in a crate, to avoid her harming that leg that still
      isn't working properly.
      She only comes to work with me now if my boyfriend is going to be gone for a
      real long time, or if she has an appointment in town. It's been really,
      really hard for me to leave her at home, but I do think she is a lot happier and
      less stressed.

      Would I leave her at work to board if I had to travel? I cannot fathom it,
      honestly, even though I know she would get excellent care from my coworkers.
      I would do it if it were my last option. My first choice would be to just not
      leave home myself if at all possible. My second choice would be to bring her
      with me (altho not anytime soon with her current problems). If I really had
      to leave without her, I would train my boyfriend to give her injections (he
      can already give pills). A pet sitter is not a likely option, since I live in
      the country out of their range. As a last resort, I would leave her at work,
      but I would worry terribly about her being alone at night, probably because
      each time she has thrown a clot it has been during the night. But in all
      honesty, I didn't know about either clot till the a.m. I guess I just worry about a
      real painful one.

      One thing to consider in thinking about leaving a cat at the vets is how is
      it set up at the vets. Are the cats and dogs kept separately? Where I work,
      we don't currently have separate rooms for the dogs and the cats, so Monkey has
      to listen to the dogs during the day. Sometimes a real barker has been there
      for long periods (days) and that probably has been part of what has bothered
      Monkey. Also, some dogs make some real strange noises when coming out of
      anesthesia that can be disturbing to her.

      Again, I am just sharing my personal experience in hopes that having more
      information to think about might be helpful to someone.

      Meredith
    • Natalie A.Sera
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2005
        I just wanted to respond to Meredith's post, because it's been on my
        mind a lot.

        I mostly don't have to be away for very long, because I'm retired, and
        only go out for a few hours at a time. And many times, I go to cat
        shows, where I could bring Tata along -- she's been in the show-hall
        before and acts very comfortable there. The cages are large enough for
        food, water, cat box, fluffy bed and room to stretch. I used to show
        her, but will not do so any more.

        I'm lucky that my vet is a cat-only practice, so there would be no
        stress from barking dogs, and I COULD board Tata there if I'm going to
        a cat-unfriendly environment. I could also board her with friends, who
        know how to pill her and who love her, and which would be less
        expensive, but it still brings up questions. Meredith said that when
        her cat threw a clot, they were able to clear it up, and function
        returned to the rear legs. Is there a time-frame during which that is
        possible, and after which recovery becomes unlikely?

        I'm adjusting to the new reality of Tata's illness, and she's been
        cooperative when I have to pill her, but I'm still VERY scared of clots
        and breathing crises -- so far, she seems to be adjusting well, and is
        showing more energy than she did before treatment. I DO have to get on
        with my life, but still feeling very fragile.

        Natalie ._c- who has appreciated ALL the notes and information people
        have sent!
      • Jay Bangle
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2005
          Hey Natalie, Good to see you here. It's one of the most informative
          groups on yahoo.

          Are you giving Tata anything to *prevent* clots? Something like
          aspirin every few days, or another anticoagulant medication? I've seen
          information on natto here (and even recommended a friend look into it
          for her mother) - how open is your vet to "new age" or less main stream
          treatment?

          When both my husband and I are out of town, we have a vet tech come in
          to cat sit. She comes in twice a day, feeds, waters, scoops boxes and
          gives any medication necessary. We have a full-blown cattery, so it's
          pretty extensive, therefore somewhat expensive. But it works - and
          absent a few issues from time to time - I'm pretty happy with the
          situation.

          I know you live in Reno, so altitude is another issue with Tata. Check
          the archives about methods for building your own oxygen chamber from a
          cat carrier, tape and an airplane oxygen concentrator (available
          cheaply on EBay). Don't forget to give yourself a hit now and then
          too! ;) Deep Breaths!

          I know you're feeling very fragile now. It's natural. Realize that
          she is in *less* danger NOW than she was in the days before you
          discovered her problems. You now know that there is a problem - but
          things are really better than they were when you didn't know. So -
          take another deep breath, and know that there is a world of experience
          here to help you!

          Jay Bangle