Gina weight loss

  • marthe horn-Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      Hi,

      Still waiting for the ultrsound results but the good
      news is Gina is almost on purely moist food and I have
      really rationed the dry. She loves it but I know it
      is the culprit for carbohydrates and weight gain.

      Anyway, we have just been carrying her around and I
      thought she felt lighter. She now weighs eleven
      pounds. Since she is such a small cat she still looks
      big but her head and body are better proportioned ie
      before her head looked so small with a huge body and
      the rolls are disappearing...This took place over
      about 5 months.

      Originally she was 14 pounds, and then when I got
      Lenny, (I was warned that she would want to sneak the
      kitten food, did and promptly gained 1 pound to
      15...and since the food change down to 12.5 very
      quickly first 3 months and now the next two months,
      (where the switchover was mostly transitioned to
      mostly canned now - slowly, slowly reduced dry amounts
      which took a while now about 80/20) she lost the 1.5
      so we have almost reached her goal. I have been
      watching closely to see that she is eating, and she
      has a healthy appetite and is ready at feeding time,
      but eats less and is not snacking all day as was the
      case with the ever-filled food dishes of dry diet.

      Anyway, I think this will all be helpful with the
      heart and if it won't cure it, it will allow her to be
      more active, move more freely and place less stress on
      her heart.

      So Rosemary, I am happy to say the results were
      forthcoming...she is not at all anorexic, still has a
      good weight, I wouldn't want her to lose a whole lot
      more, but as her activity level is increasing she
      seems to have leveled out....

      She looks great, is very happy, climbs vertically up
      my daughter's ladder to the bunk bed, (still can't get
      down by herself) and I find her everywhere in the
      house...she is no longer the behind the couch potato.
      She doesn't sleep as much either...so these are all
      good things.

      Rosemary: Thank you for all the nutritional advice,
      support and information re: transitioning, the
      cautions about doing it slowly so as not to adversely
      affect her system...SLOWLY is the key. Also the facts
      about good quality versus so so for cats. As it is I
      spend about $15.00 or more a week on food, for 2 cats,
      but to me it is a small cost for the benefits. You do
      what you need to do. If you have a baby, its that
      much for diapers alone and when you add in formula,
      daycare and the rest, 15 or 20 is minimal and should
      help in the health and well-being.

      Marthe, Gina and Lenny