Questions on Breathing

  • Natalie A.Sera
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 6:22 PM
      Hi, again,

      I read the article on monitoring breathing, but I'm still pretty
      unclear on it. Physically, how do you do it? I can't watch my watch and
      Tata's breathing at the same time, and I've been experimenting with my
      other cats by putting my hand gently on their abdomens, and it seems
      like once they begin to purr, the respiration rate changes. I've gotten
      anywhere from 16 to 32 breaths a minute on my other cats.

      On Tata this afternoon, I got 24 breaths, and the one with 32 was Tule,
      who also has a heart defect. But I also noticed that when they're
      purring, the rate speeds up, so on one of the others, who doesn't have
      any heart defect that I know of, the resting rate was 16, but the
      purring rate was 32.

      Also, in reference to another message, what is spiro?

      Thanks,

      Natalie ._c-
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 6:49 PM
        > I read the article on monitoring breathing, but I'm still pretty
        > unclear on it. Physically, how do you do it? I can't watch my
        watch and
        > Tata's breathing at the same time

        You can usually judge when 15 seconds is up once you've done it a
        few times. Another method: you should only be counting the number
        of times your cat inhales OR exhales, so whichever one you're not
        counting, take a quick look at your watch when it happens. You
        could also set an oven timer/watch alarm or something like that.

        > I know of, the resting rate was 16, but the
        > purring rate was 32.

        You always want the resting rate. Note that when cats dream, their
        respiration rate can also increase. You can usually tell when
        they're dreaming. You want to take the respiration rate when Tata
        is resting but not dreaming. Another thing you should be doing is
        becoming familiar with how Tata breathes when at rest. How much do
        the sides of the body rise and fall, does Tata normally make noise
        when breathing, etc.

        > Also, in reference to another message, what is spiro?

        Spiro is short for spironolactone, a diuretic.

        Sarah.
      • Natalie A.Sera
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30 8:47 PM
          Hi again,

          I just read the FAQ and it answered some of my questions, but here's
          another one:

          How fast can a cat go from seemingly comfortable into life-threatening
          crisis? If you need to go away and can't take your cat with you, is it
          safe to leave it at a boarding place with a vet-tech who can administer
          medication, but where there is no one there at night?

          I realize now that Tata was in crisis when I brought her to the vet
          (and I didn't even know it -- all I noticed is that she had had some
          diarrhea), and she has always been such a sweet, gentle cat that I'm
          still afraid she might just gently go into crisis again without my
          knowledge. Like when I'm asleep, or away for a few hours.

          When I travel, I often stay in cat-friendly environments and can take
          her with me, but there will inevitably be times when I can't. That's a
          worry when you know that the cat absolutely cannot miss a dose of
          medication.

          Thanks for all your listening and guidance!

          Natalie ._c-

          PS I tried to upload a picture, but Yahoo wouldn't take it. Can I just
          email a picture to the group?
        • brinkett
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2005
            > How fast can a cat go from seemingly comfortable into life-
            threatening crisis?

            Fast. But usually you get some warning.

            > If you need to go away and can't take your cat with you, is it
            > safe to leave it at a boarding place with a vet-tech who can
            administer
            > medication, but where there is no one there at night?

            It is. After all, you're not monitoring your cat 24 hours a day at
            home.

            > I'm
            > still afraid she might just gently go into crisis again without my
            > knowledge. Like when I'm asleep, or away for a few hours.

            This is natural and happened to all of us when our cats were
            diagnosed. You hate to leave them alone, and worry about them when
            you're not there. Eventually you'll come to accept that the
            situation is beyond your control, and you'll learn to live with it.

            > That's a
            > worry when you know that the cat absolutely cannot miss a dose of
            > medication.

            Unless you're trying to clear your cat's lungs of fluid, missing one
            dose probably won't have much of an impact. You certainly don't
            want to miss a dose, but if it happens, the cat will probably be
            okay.

            Sarah.