Re: Holistic recommendations for Monkey

  • jen
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 9:02 AM
      Haven't really given her these details about Monkey's heart, but I
      > wonder if the electrical stuff would be contraindicated with: an
      enlarged
      > left atrium and a heart that sometimes skips beats.

      Meredith,

      I would double check with the acupuncturist, but I would very much
      doubt that the electrical current used in the stimulation will be
      enough to affect her heart. Even in the smallest of infants (humans)
      we need at least 2 J/kg to have any affect on the heart. Electrical
      stimulation through acupuncture needles at these levels would be
      intolerably painful. Even using direct cardiac defibrillation (ie
      paddles right on the heart's surface), 50 J of energy is needed.
      When we are trying to add extra heartbeats (ie pacemaker -
      externally) we use a minimum of 60J to get a response from the heart.

      I hope this works well for Monkey, It sounds fascinating! Keep us
      updated!

      jen, deagan and kira the dog