Katy's check-up

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2005
      I took Katy back to Iowa State today for a check-up. She was first
      seen there on March 22 and then had her first check-up on March 29,
      after she'd been on atenolol and aspirin for a week. At her first
      check-up, she still had a murmur and a gallop rhythm, but her EKG and
      blood pressure were fine.

      I was beginning to think that she'd never feel good again, but after
      about 3 1/2 weeks, she started to act and eat more normally. She's
      been doing really well for a little over a week now (knock on wood),
      so I feel like she's finally started responding to the atenolol. She
      still seems to get short of breath if she runs, but that's about the
      only real symptom I'm seeing right now.

      At her check-up today, the vet said her lungs sounded clear and there
      was no evidence of a heart murmur! Yay! So, they didn't do a chest
      x-ray or anything else. She goes back for a recheck in 3-6 months,
      unless something should come up.

      We're also going to do a T3 suppression test to check her for
      hyperthyroidism. Her free T4 was initially a little high and then on
      a second check it was normal, so we're going to try this and see what
      it shows.

      So, I'm breathing a little easier right now, and keeping my fingers
      crossed that she continues to do so well.

      Debbie & Katy
    • Lynn
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2005
        Hi Debbie (and Katy!)

        I'm new here, but have been reading all about Katy. It's such a
        relief when you begin to see
        them feeling better, isn't it? I'm glad you and Katy received good
        news at her check up. I
        just went through all 3 tests to rule out any chance of
        hyperthyroidism for my Teegan as
        well. I only wish it was something like that, because it can be
        cured, but unfortunately that
        isn't the case for Teegan. Good luck to you and Katy!

        Lynn & Teegy :-)
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie" <debskats5@y...> wrote:
        > I took Katy back to Iowa State today for a check-up.
        <snip>