Re: [FH] pilling--pill in food

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
      My question is---is it possible to crush a pill in
      with the food? I notice that no one is suggesting this and i wondered
      why? Does it make it less effective if it's not whole or something? I
      do know how to hold for pilling, but Thumper gets easily upset and i
      will be out of town for a week pretty soon, so i thought mixing with
      food would be easier for the catsitters.

      So....pill in the food? is this ok?

      -----------------

      Michelle,

      As far as I know, all of these pills can be crushed. The issue is that not all of them taste very good. Lasix is odorless and tasteless. My Pepper has been getting that in her food all along without any problems.

      I have her atenolol and enalapril compounded into a liquid at the pharmacy. You have a choice of flavors and I got "tuna". Then I give her the meds in a syringe. I absolutely cannot give Pepper a pill but can easiy give her a syringe of tuna-flavored medicine. There's a link to find compounding pharmacies in the links section.

      You can also try "pill pockets" - a treat with a slit in the side where you can hide the pills.

      Sue

    • Lise Cummings
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
        I haven't ever eaten atenolol myself, but Tigger got
        1/4 tab atenolol in his food for years and never
        seemed to notice it. One thing that helps if you're
        going to put the pills in the food is give them a
        small amount of food with the pills, and give them
        more food when they're done with that. That way if
        they don't eat very much they'll still get their
        medicine.

        Lise

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
          Hi Michelle,

          In a message dated 4/20/05 6:00:41 PM, mkratchman@... writes:

          << My question is---is it possible to crush a pill in

          with the food? >>

          It's possible to do it, yes. But that doesn't mean it's beneficial or
          appropriate for the cat.

          << I notice that no one is suggesting this and i wondered

          why? >>

          B/c many synthetic medications have an unpleasant smell or taste, which is
          even stronger to a cat's sensitive sense of smell than to ours. Cats have a
          powerful instinctual mechanism to not eat anything that smells foreign. This
          increases the likelihood that they will refuse food, which is necessary for life
          and a pleasure, that has been mixed with medication. Further, there is also the
          possibility that the cat won't consume the portion of food in which the
          medication has been mixed, so there's no guarantee the cat is getting the full dose
          of medication.

          << I do know how to hold for pilling, but Thumper gets easily upset >>

          If it's really impossible to pill the cat, then it may be worthwhile to have
          the medication(s) compounded into another form. // Rosemary
        • Carrie H
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2005
            Just saw this-

            when my cat first went on her meds, there was
            absolutley no way to get her to take her pills. We
            went through various ways of pilling, liquidized
            medicine to swallow, etc etc.
            We finally came up with the following routine:
            atenolol gel in her ear every morning, lasix and
            enalopril crushed up and put in an amount of food that
            she would eat for dinner. Once she got use to the
            taste, I have begun just throwing the whole enalopril
            in a small amount of wet food (she has been weened off
            the lasix now) and sprinkling some dry food on top.
            She must have gotten use to the taste of the pill, and
            assumes its the same crunch as her dry food. It has
            worked great for us. I was concerned about crushing
            her pill at first, but the vets agreed that it would
            be ok since she ate it all up quickly. She has been on
            this set up for nearly a year now and is doing great.
            Life has been much easier on Sagira and I since!!

            http://mail.yahoo.com