New here - just lost my kitty - looking for answers-long

  • bnkycat
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      I am new here and just lost my precious Rusty. I am really
      searching for answers as to what happened and I have no clear
      answers. It has been especially hard as I just lost Binky on 1/22 to
      CRF.

      I rushed him to the hospital last sat for breathing
      difficulties...he didn't require oxygen but was definately labored.
      They did x-rays and they showed "fluid" or inflammation in his
      chest, but the heart appeared normal. His kidney values also
      doubled since Jan and were BUN 75 and CREA 3.9. He had a 1-2/6
      murmur. HE was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and had a
      echocardiogram and a check up with cardiologist. Echo was normal.

      He came home and got worse - wouldn't eat, breathing terribly and
      extremely lethargic and we had to make the awful decision to PTS two
      days after he came home from hospital. The doctors didn't give him
      much chance at survival (25%) if we readmitted him and by a miracle
      he made it they only gave him 3 months at best. I couldn't put him
      through that torture and let him come home and go in peace with us
      there.

      He also had a BAD ecoli type bacteria infection that the urinalysis
      showed.

      They never gave him lasix in the hospital only small amounts of
      fluid because he was dehydrated and didn't want to compromise the
      kidneys and they didn't know for sure if it was CHF, because the
      cardiogram was normal.

      The doctors told me they were all "scratching their heads" because
      his cardiogram was normal but didn't coincide with the x-rays or
      breathing difficulties and still suspected congestive heart failure.

      How is it possible that the echo was normal but they still claim it
      was chf, can that happen? I am desperatly searching for answers. I
      know they also menitoned the possiblity of cancer...his heartworm
      test was negative.

      Rusty was 12 and the sweetest cat you could ever have...we were
      lucky to have him and all he did was give love....i feel like there
      is no closure because I don't have a concrete answer as to why he
      died and was hoping someone could give me some insight. HE just had
      a checkup and bloodwork in Jan and all was well.

      I hope some of you can offer some information so I can put my mind
      at ease. I have his private cremation tomorrow and will bring him
      home. I am also posting this on the CRF/CHF board.

      Thank you.
      Erin
      missing my Angels Binky and Rusty
    • peteycat9
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bnkycat" <bnkycat@y...> wrote:

        Dear Erin,
        I am so sorry for your loss of Rusty and Binky. While I have no
        clear answers to why Rusty appeared "normal" on some tests, but not
        others, I share in your experience. I lost my cat Checkers to HCM
        at the age of one and a half. He truly was a baby when he suddenly
        had severe symptoms of CHF and lapsed into a coma 2 days later. The
        only reason I know he had significant HCM is that I Ok'd a partial
        necropsy to examine Checker's heart. Checkers never had an audible
        heart murmur or an abnormal heart rate, even when he was dying in
        the hospital. His heart and lungs appeared "normal" on X-rays, and
        yet he could not breathe outside an oxygen tank. It is my
        understanding that with traditional x-rays, they don't always show a
        problem because HCM is a thickening on the inside of the heart
        muscle. I can't speak for how accurate an echo cardigram is because
        one was never done on Checkers, but perhaps someone else here can.
        I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand your
        frustration and grief, especially when the answers to Rusty's
        problems aren't so clear cut. Even the vets that treated Checkers
        were not sure if his HCM was the only thing that caused all his
        symptoms, considering he also suffered severe neurological symptoms
        in the very end that included blindness and seizures. I will always
        wonder if Checkers had cancer or diabetis (his blood sugar numbers
        were through the roof), or asthma. The "not knowing for sure" is
        real painful. My heart really goes out to you, especailly with
        losing two precious babies in such a short time span and now dealing
        with the mystery of Rusty. You can be certain of one thing for sure
        though; you were a wonderful Mom to both your kitty's and did
        everything you could to help them when they needed you. They were
        very lucky to have been in your care. Take care.
        Love,
        Joann (Checker's Mom)