Re: [FH] Kinda off topic (but not sure who else to ask)

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      Irene,

      This sounds like a problem and the dog needs to be seen by a vet - soon. I do a lot of volunteer work with Great Dane Rescue (www.magdrl-nj.com) and we do get some dogs with heart issues, just like cats have. In fact, we just had a dog drop dead yesterday from what turned out to be undiagnosed heart failure. I don't think you're over-reacting.

      It's too bad that taking the dog yourself may cause problems. Try contacting Golden Retriever Rescue - http://www.grca-nrc.org/Localrescues.htm. Maybe they can help.

      Or, can you take the dog to the vet yourself? At least if you know what you're dealing with, you will have a better idea of what to do. It could be pneumonia.

      Sue

    • lclarizia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        In a message dated 4/2/2005 1:03:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        ireneboater@... writes:

        > Again, sorry about being off topic but I have such a soft heart for
        > animals! And it's been bothering me the past 3 days how she is
        > ignored. I'm sure he takes care of her, just not up to my standards.

        Don't be -- I'm sure every one of us would do the same!

        Frankly, it sounds like something is wrong with her. A dog of her age won't
        have the energy of a puppy, but should not be lethargic and the breathing
        dpes *not* sound normal for a dog of any age.

        If your brother can't take care of her, he shouldn't have her -- it may be
        too much for you to take her on permanently, but is it possible to take her for
        the short term and find her another home? Or find a shelter there willing to
        take her?

        Lisa

        "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

        - Anatole France