Re: [FH] Kinda off topic (but not sure who else to ask)

  • ladycherise@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
      along with my 3 cats, I own a German Sheperd Dog and was raised with dogs,
      and its not normal for a dog to have the symptoms you described. 10 years old
      is getting on up in years for a large breed dog. German Sheperds and Goldens
      live to only be about 10-13 years of age and some live longer but large breed
      dogs dont live as long as cats do. This dog needs to be seen by a vet.
      especially since its geriatric. poor thing

      Cindy

    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
        Irene,

        This sounds like a problem and the dog needs to be seen by a vet - soon. I do a lot of volunteer work with Great Dane Rescue (www.magdrl-nj.com) and we do get some dogs with heart issues, just like cats have. In fact, we just had a dog drop dead yesterday from what turned out to be undiagnosed heart failure. I don't think you're over-reacting.

        It's too bad that taking the dog yourself may cause problems. Try contacting Golden Retriever Rescue - http://www.grca-nrc.org/Localrescues.htm. Maybe they can help.

        Or, can you take the dog to the vet yourself? At least if you know what you're dealing with, you will have a better idea of what to do. It could be pneumonia.

        Sue

      • lclarizia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2005
          In a message dated 4/2/2005 1:03:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          ireneboater@... writes:

          > Again, sorry about being off topic but I have such a soft heart for
          > animals! And it's been bothering me the past 3 days how she is
          > ignored. I'm sure he takes care of her, just not up to my standards.

          Don't be -- I'm sure every one of us would do the same!

          Frankly, it sounds like something is wrong with her. A dog of her age won't
          have the energy of a puppy, but should not be lethargic and the breathing
          dpes *not* sound normal for a dog of any age.

          If your brother can't take care of her, he shouldn't have her -- it may be
          too much for you to take her on permanently, but is it possible to take her for
          the short term and find her another home? Or find a shelter there willing to
          take her?

          Lisa

          "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

          - Anatole France