Kinda off topic (but not sure who else to ask)

  • ireneboater
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I'm down in DC (away from Scratchy), visiting my brother. He has a
      golden retriever that is 10+ yrs. I've been walking her and have
      noticed that she is breathing very hard and is extremely lethargic.
      I don't know her very well, but having seen Scratchy breathing hard,
      it makes me wonder if his dog might be in respiratory distress. She
      looks like she is breathing from her belly too. AND she sighs a lot.
      Her nose drips a little too when sleeping. Like I said this is OFF
      TOPIC and I'm really sorry but I don't know what to do.

      My brother doesn't seem to have enough time to take care of his dog
      and it BOTHERS me. I really want to take her home with me and take
      care of her -- but I don't know if I'm just over reacting b/c of
      what I'm going through with Scratchy.

      I asked my brother when the last time she was at the vet and he
      didn't know. It kills me that it seems like he just doesn't care
      about her! Part of me wants to take her home with me and have her
      checked out. She doesn't have much of a life down here. He doesn't
      seem to have time to walk her much less take her to the vet. I'm
      sure he'd be MORE than happy to have me take her off his hands. But
      then again part of me doesn't want to get too emotionally attatched
      to her b/c of all the turmoil I've been going throught with Scratch.

      Sorry about bringing a dog into this list, but you guys have given
      me so much help with scratchy, I thought you should help shed some
      light to this predicament. Oh yeah, for got to mention, we already
      have a dog and my fiance doesn't like my brothers dog too much
      either. (and if we ever go away on the weekends we don't have anyone
      to watch her. His dog is watched by his parents - unsure how they
      would take babysitting 2 dogs).

      Again, sorry about being off topic but I have such a soft heart for
      animals! And it's been bothering me the past 3 days how she is
      ignored. I'm sure he takes care of her, just not up to my standards.

      Irene