Re: [FH] Update on our boys

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Lisa,

      >> I asked about re-checking and she didn't think it was
      >> necessary unless we want to. We probably will re-check but not in
      >> the near future, just in case it is thickened and he does have very
      >> mild heart disease.

      It's always a good idea to do a re-check if there's a possibility of heart disease. My cardiologist recommended coming back in 6 months for a recheck for my girl who was definitively diagnosed with HCM and is on medication. Without a definite diagnosis I'd go back in 2 months.

      >> I'm still
      >> concerned about Saki's panting, but we asked her if his seasonal
      >> allergies (which become year round in cats eventually) could play a
      >> part. She said it's possible.

      Sue

    • monalissa1978
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue B <rockii@o...> wrote:

        > Without a definite diagnosis I'd go back in 2 months.>

        Hi Sue,

        I appreciate your feedback. I do plan on bringing him for another
        echo at some point, but not 2 months. It's only been 7 months since
        his last echo and 10 months before that. We are flat out tapped
        financially, with more routine visits coming up in a couple of months.

        The cardio said if it is thickened it's so slight that it would be
        very mild heart disease. *I think* she also said not something that
        would require treatment (though I know it's a matter of opinion when
        to treat), but if she's not 100% I'm not going to push treatment. I
        took everyone's advice here and got them to a cardiologist, one who
        has been doing this for 25 years. I have to trust her experience to
        some extent. Next time we can try one of the other cardios at the
        hospital to get a different perspective.

        > Panting is just not normal in cats. An x-ray can diagnose some
        respiratory diseases like asthma. If your cat does have asthma, you
        can learn a lot from the Yahoo group -
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Asthma_Bronchitis/>

        We did X-rays at our vet before going, which the cardiologist and
        nephrologist took a look at briefly as well, and his lungs look
        fine. No signs of asthma at all. Not sure what is left to do? I
        plan to get him back on his antihistamine and if it is related to his
        seasonal allergies, I imagine this will help.

        Thanks so much =)
        Lisa