Re: [FH] Teeth

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      I looked at that too and the high alcohol content concerns me. Any comments?

      Thanks for the link, Susan. I'm always interested in anything that make my
      HCM boy's life easier. He could use a dental but our vet doesn't recommend
      taking the risk unless it becomes critical to his health. I looked at the
      website and found the ingredient list:

      Leba III (wonder what Leba I and II are/were?)
      INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Ethyl alcohol 25%, Lamiaceae and Rosaceae in
      trace elements.

      Anyone have info on how safe these ingredients are?

      Gwen and the 3 cats in Phoenix

    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Jodi,

        In a message dated 4/1/05 9:50:52 AM, jodi_robin@... writes:

        << I noticed that his gums were red and were bleeding after I

        brushed. >>

        What did you brush with?

        << So she could give him antibiotics to control

        any infections. >>

        Are there any bacterial infections?

        << Well the last time Max had flagyl it completely

        constipated him, and he's never been the same. >>

        Flagyl (metronidazole) kills/inhibits anaerobic bacteria, which are part of
        the bacterial balance in the gut. This can contribute to digestive/elimination
        problems. (Clindamycin, or Antirobe Rx, is another antibx often prescribed for
        the mouth.)

        << Does anyone

        know if gingivitis can make his cardiomyopathy worse? >>

        Bacteria in the mouth can affect other parts of the body, incl heart and
        kidneys. Further, it's important to maintain oral health, since it's the door to
        nutrition, which is essential to overall cat health.

        There are several ways to promote oral health in a cat.

        1. Coenzyme Q10 supports gum health...and heart health. Typical dose is about
        10-30 mg daily (altho it is used up to about 70mg depending on
        circumstances). It's available at any health-food store; you can buy it in 100mg doses and
        just sprinkle out a tiny amt in food. VetriScience (www.vetriscience.com) and
        US Animal Nutritionals (www.usanimalnutritionals.com), which belong to the same
        parent company, also make a Q10 product in animal-size doses, in animal-size
        gelcaps, for pilling.

        2. Raw chicken, game hen, or duck necks...smashed lightly with a braising
        mallet and cut into small (like 1 inch) chunks...provide exercise for the cat's
        jaw and also help clean cat's teeth. The consistency of the neck resembles that
        of natural prey animals, so that the abrasive action of sinking in the teeth
        cleans the teeth and stimulates the gums. The necks are also slightly acidic,
        which maintains proper oral pH (the high carbohydrate content of dry food can
        elevate pH, which contributes to gum/dental issues in cats, and provides
        readily available food for oral bacteria; this is exacerbated b/c dry food
        particles get stuck between cats' jagged teeth).

        3. There are several oral health products for cats with generally nontoxic
        ingredients, incl MaxiGuard Oral Cleansing Gel; see
        www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11968899&dopt=Abstract. It
        basically contains water, Vit C, and minerals, with generally nontoxic
        preservatives...and is available from various online suppliers.

        Another is CHX, but I believe that contains alcohol. // Rosemary
      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hi Gwen,

          In a message dated 4/1/05 11:02:35 AM, paragem@... writes:

          << I looked at the
          website and found the ingredient list:

          Leba III (wonder what Leba I and II are/were?)
          INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Ethyl alcohol 25%, Lamiaceae and Rosaceae in
          trace elements.

          Anyone have info on how safe these ingredients are? >>

          The water is generally safe. That's a whopping dose of alcohol. Lamiaceae is
          simply the botanical name for plants in the mint family...and Roaceae is the
          botanical name for plants in the rose family. There are hundreds of genera and
          thousands of species in each family. So it would be impossible to know how
          safe the ingredients are until you know which specific plant is used...and how
          the plant was processed. // Rosemary
        • Jodi_Robin
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
            Thanks for all of your teeth advice. The vet came by, and said that
            Maxwell has a lot of tartar, and mild gingivitis on one side of his
            mouth. She said the best thing to do is keep brushing and give him
            the CET chews. (no need for a teeth cleaning or antibiotics)
            Hopefully I won't have anything new to report until after his
            ultrasound.

            Which brings me to another question. Maxwell gets so stressed out
            when we go to the vet. I'm worried that the stress alone will cause
            his heart to fail. I bought the Feliway spray with the hope that it
            will work. But is there anything else that people do to destress
            their cats? I've tried the communicating thing, but it didn't work.
            Perhaps I am not the greatest animal communicator.

            Thanks again.

            -Jodi and Maxwell P