Re: [FH] Teeth

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      In a message dated 4/1/2005 9:50:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      jodi_robin@... writes:

      > My question is... Does anyone have any experience with this dental
      > stuff? My gut instinct is to let this go if I can at least until
      > the next ultrasound (May 2nd) to see how is heart is. Does anyone
      > know if gingivitis can make his cardiomyopathy worse? Will
      > antibiotics interfere with his other meds-- diltiazem, enalapril,
      > and fragmin.

      The antibiotics shouldn't interfere with those meds, but to be on the safe
      side, I'd look it up or call your local pharmacist and ask.

      As for the gingivitis itself -- Baby Boy has very bad teeth, but there's
      nothing to be done about it as he'd need anesthesia to have them treated and his
      heart is way too bad to risk anesthesia except in dire circumstances. The main
      danger for the heart from gingivitis would be a secondary infection of a
      heart valve from the mouth bacteria. It wouldn't necessarily make his
      cardiomyopathy worse.

      It's interesting, but a lot of cats with cardiomyopathies also seem to have
      really bad teeth. I don't know if it's just a random correlation or if the two
      could be related -- gingivitis in humans has been linked to coenzyme q10
      deficiency which may also be a factor in certain cardiomyopathies.

      Anyway, I would talk to your vet about it and see if there aren't any other
      treatments you could try first before opting for dentistry with anesthesia.

      Lisa

      "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

      - Anatole France

    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        I looked at that too and the high alcohol content concerns me. Any comments?

        Thanks for the link, Susan. I'm always interested in anything that make my
        HCM boy's life easier. He could use a dental but our vet doesn't recommend
        taking the risk unless it becomes critical to his health. I looked at the
        website and found the ingredient list:

        Leba III (wonder what Leba I and II are/were?)
        INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Ethyl alcohol 25%, Lamiaceae and Rosaceae in
        trace elements.

        Anyone have info on how safe these ingredients are?

        Gwen and the 3 cats in Phoenix

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hi Jodi,

          In a message dated 4/1/05 9:50:52 AM, jodi_robin@... writes:

          << I noticed that his gums were red and were bleeding after I

          brushed. >>

          What did you brush with?

          << So she could give him antibiotics to control

          any infections. >>

          Are there any bacterial infections?

          << Well the last time Max had flagyl it completely

          constipated him, and he's never been the same. >>

          Flagyl (metronidazole) kills/inhibits anaerobic bacteria, which are part of
          the bacterial balance in the gut. This can contribute to digestive/elimination
          problems. (Clindamycin, or Antirobe Rx, is another antibx often prescribed for
          the mouth.)

          << Does anyone

          know if gingivitis can make his cardiomyopathy worse? >>

          Bacteria in the mouth can affect other parts of the body, incl heart and
          kidneys. Further, it's important to maintain oral health, since it's the door to
          nutrition, which is essential to overall cat health.

          There are several ways to promote oral health in a cat.

          1. Coenzyme Q10 supports gum health...and heart health. Typical dose is about
          10-30 mg daily (altho it is used up to about 70mg depending on
          circumstances). It's available at any health-food store; you can buy it in 100mg doses and
          just sprinkle out a tiny amt in food. VetriScience (www.vetriscience.com) and
          US Animal Nutritionals (www.usanimalnutritionals.com), which belong to the same
          parent company, also make a Q10 product in animal-size doses, in animal-size
          gelcaps, for pilling.

          2. Raw chicken, game hen, or duck necks...smashed lightly with a braising
          mallet and cut into small (like 1 inch) chunks...provide exercise for the cat's
          jaw and also help clean cat's teeth. The consistency of the neck resembles that
          of natural prey animals, so that the abrasive action of sinking in the teeth
          cleans the teeth and stimulates the gums. The necks are also slightly acidic,
          which maintains proper oral pH (the high carbohydrate content of dry food can
          elevate pH, which contributes to gum/dental issues in cats, and provides
          readily available food for oral bacteria; this is exacerbated b/c dry food
          particles get stuck between cats' jagged teeth).

          3. There are several oral health products for cats with generally nontoxic
          ingredients, incl MaxiGuard Oral Cleansing Gel; see
          www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11968899&dopt=Abstract. It
          basically contains water, Vit C, and minerals, with generally nontoxic
          preservatives...and is available from various online suppliers.

          Another is CHX, but I believe that contains alcohol. // Rosemary
        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi Gwen,

            In a message dated 4/1/05 11:02:35 AM, paragem@... writes:

            << I looked at the
            website and found the ingredient list:

            Leba III (wonder what Leba I and II are/were?)
            INGREDIENTS: Distilled water, Ethyl alcohol 25%, Lamiaceae and Rosaceae in
            trace elements.

            Anyone have info on how safe these ingredients are? >>

            The water is generally safe. That's a whopping dose of alcohol. Lamiaceae is
            simply the botanical name for plants in the mint family...and Roaceae is the
            botanical name for plants in the rose family. There are hundreds of genera and
            thousands of species in each family. So it would be impossible to know how
            safe the ingredients are until you know which specific plant is used...and how
            the plant was processed. // Rosemary
          • Jodi_Robin
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2005
              Thanks for all of your teeth advice. The vet came by, and said that
              Maxwell has a lot of tartar, and mild gingivitis on one side of his
              mouth. She said the best thing to do is keep brushing and give him
              the CET chews. (no need for a teeth cleaning or antibiotics)
              Hopefully I won't have anything new to report until after his
              ultrasound.

              Which brings me to another question. Maxwell gets so stressed out
              when we go to the vet. I'm worried that the stress alone will cause
              his heart to fail. I bought the Feliway spray with the hope that it
              will work. But is there anything else that people do to destress
              their cats? I've tried the communicating thing, but it didn't work.
              Perhaps I am not the greatest animal communicator.

              Thanks again.

              -Jodi and Maxwell P