Katy's first recheck

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005
      I took Katy back to Iowa State yesterday for her first recheck since
      starting atenolol a week ago. They checked her BP which was good at
      130 and did an EKG which looked great. The vet was really pleased
      with her response so far. She still has a gallop rhythm and a soft
      murmur. I forgot to ask them, but does anyone know if these resolve
      somewhat after being on medication? She goes back in a month for
      another full cardiac work-up.

      I'm glad that the cardiologist thinks she's doing well, but she's
      still not very active and Sunday she seemed really weak and winded
      easily whenever she did anything. Maybe I'm expecting too much too
      quickly. Someone, I think it was Lise, told me to be patient . . .
      I'm really trying but I just want it all now!

      Katy's appetite also seems to be decreasing. Has anyone else run into
      that with atenolol? Or maybe it's the aspirin. She got her first
      aspirin Sunday evening and I'm going to give her her second one this
      evening.

      I've heard people mention slippery elm. Do you think that might help
      if it's the aspirin bothering her stomach? She hasn't had any
      vomiting, at least so far. I talked to the vet about this, but he
      honestly didn't have much to offer other than if she lost weight to
      call him back. That didn't help me at all.

      Debbie