Food

  • marthe horn-Davis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I have successfully switched my cats to mostly canned
      and some dry (10-15%) and very happy with the results
      for both cats.

      Question: Activity has increased especially for my
      former couch potato, Gina, and she looks great!!, but
      her preference is for Eagle Pack Super Premium Canned
      Lamb & Chicken - an excellent food. Is it true that
      this brand might not be a good one for reducing weight
      and could actually put it on...?

      Gina has lost about a pound, but I am not sure how
      much to feed her- can says ....1/2 can/day/7 lbs.
      depending on activity level..That would be 1 large can
      for her alone each day, she won't even eat that. I am
      only giving her about 1/2 if that plus some dry. Some
      guidance about how much...to feed? A whole can
      (large) seems like a lot / I don't want to starve her
      either of course. She isn't begging for food. Not as
      worried about kitten but long-term don't want him to
      become too heavy....I tried Wysong as well - both cats
      like it. I know a too rapid weight loss isn't healthy
      but she is still about 14 pounds and very solid,
      although her skin is more supple and flexible...fur
      shines and she looks much better than when she was on
      a dry food diet. She is definitely more active and
      playful, looks like a big racoon when she scurries
      around the house. She even climbed the rungs on the
      ladder of my daughter's bunk bed last night...its
      amazing! Is there something as complete as Eagle Pack
      with fewer calories or is this even a concern? any
      suggestions...I don't want her too heavy in
      consideration of her heart, #2 murmer.

      Marthe

    • diane
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
        Like many others, I'm reevaluating what I feed our cats.

        For years they have lived on a mix of Science Diet Adult Light and
        Hairball Light.

        I bought some Chicken Soup food and they are not really going for it.
        (I never considered them fussy till now LOL)

        The biggest issue is that Mudgie loves big chunks like the hairball
        or dental food. All the ones I could feel through the bags feel small.

        Any suggestions? What are people moving to now? I figure I have about
        a week before I am done with my old batch of food. :(

        I picked up a bag of Greenies that I had in the house and that has
        wheat and corn gluten in it as well. Greenies site says that their
        products are not affected BUT with an unnamed supplier and the last 2
        or 3 recalls are not listed on the FDA site, who's to believe who?

        My bag says best if used by May 06 so I'm sure it's fine but still.......

        Diane
      • Carole
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
          Diane,

          You aren't alone in reevaluating what to feed the pets. My heart
          kitty, Saylor, is very particular about switches in food. The other 2
          cats and a dog will eat just about anything put in front of them.

          I have a "short list" of food companies that I would like to consider
          and have sent off a few emails asking if they would consider sending a
          "sample pack" of canned food. At least one has responded in the
          affirmative. Wellness looks like a very good choice but I have to
          wait to get back home where I can shop for individual varieties to try
          at Petco.

          This whole issue of tainted food is very, very scary.

          Carole

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
            I have a sample pack of Wellness coming, it was posted to this list a
            couple of days ago.

            The pet store didn't have any samples, suppose I can try Petsmart.

            I've heard good things about Wellness, Nutro (but don't they have a
            suspect product right now?) and California <insert 2nd word here>. A
            friend feeds that to her dogs and has for a long time, she's a very
            organic person herself and did a lot of research on it.

            Diane
          • Barbara Kraus
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2007
              My brother feeds his cat Katz-n-Flocken which was recommended by his vet.
              It is a high protein food (see description below) - not sure if that is
              appropriate for cats with heart and/or kidney problems. There is also a
              tuna-based canned food. For years, the conventional wisdom has suggested
              low-protein foods for kidney cats but I've heard some vets diagree with
              that.

              Solid Gold manufactures its own foods rather than using a third-party
              manufacturer such as Menu Foods.

              Katz-n-Flocken Cat Food (lamb)

              Product Description
              ----
              New Formula! Dry food ideal for adult cats and kittens, to
              maintain total health.

              Protein, Min 34%
              Fat, Min 12%
              Fiber, Max 4%
              Moisture, Max 10%
              Calories per cup, 323

              Ingredients
              ----
              Lamb | Chicken Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Ocean Fish Meal | Cracked
              Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) |
              Flaxseed | Potassium Chloride | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory
              Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil |
              Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples
              | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc
              Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper
              Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate |
              Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium
              Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine
              Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement |
              Folic Acid |

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2007
                Hi (sorry I don't know your name),

                In a message dated 4/1/07 11:20:29 AM, bjk5377@... writes:

                > My brother feeds his cat Katz-n-Flocken which was recommended by his vet.

                Katz-n-Flocken is a dry food with a high plant content, incl millet, rice,
                barley, chicory, amaranth, apples, lentils, and quinoa. Cats are obligate
                carnivores and by and large do not eat plants in the evolutionary diet and have
                limited ability to process plants, which can have adverse effects.

                > It is a high protein food

                "High" is relative...and this product is around the average of 30-35%
                calories from protein for dry foods. According to the guaranteed analysis, which does
                not represent what's actually in the product (the GA is basically minimums
                and maximums for several categories), the product contains 36% calories from
                protein, 30% calories from fat, and 34% calories from carbohydrate. Other
                products that contain similar protein levels incl Calif. Natural at 35%, Max Cat Lite
                at 36%, and Sci Di Indoor at 37%.

                Dry foods with a higher protein content relative to others on the market
                would incl Innova EVO at 46%, Wellness Core at 48%, and Purina DM at 50%.

                > not sure if that is
                > appropriate for cats with heart and/or kidney problems.

                Foods with a high grain/plant content and 34% calories from carbohydrate are
                not appropriate for any cat. High amts of carbohydrate, particularly from
                grains, is a major contributing factor to such "common" health disorders as dia
                betes, obesity, inflammatory bowel, allergy, urinary disorders, and gum/teeth
                disorders.

                >   There is also a
                > tuna-based canned food.

                Tuna and other fish-based cat foods (depending on fish species and where
                caught) are potentially problematic for several reasons, incl potentially high
                content of histamine, of components that contribute to struvite crystals
                formation, of phosphorus, and of ocean contaminants, as well as a strong taste that
                can put cats off blander meat-based foods. Solid Gold Tuna also contains 21%
                calories from carbohydrate, which is quite high relative to higher-quality canned
                foods (which generally have 5-10% calories from carbohydrate).

                > For years, the conventional wisdom has suggested
                > low-protein foods for kidney cats but I've heard some vets diagree with
                > that.

                The "conventional wisdom" of feeding reduced protein for kidney cats was
                based on faulty interpretations of studies done in the early-mid 1900s on dogs and
                rats, neither of whom are obligate carnivores, as are cats.

                Some links on that include:

                1. "Nutritional Management of Dogs and Cats with Chronic Renal Failure" by
                Kalkstein, DVM, DACVIM at www.southpaws.com/news/99-2-nutrition-CF.htm

                2. "Mythology of Protein Restriction for Dogs with Reduced Renal Function,"
                by Kenneth Bovee, DVM, MMedSc (UPenn) at
                http://www.geocities.com/jjfleisher/bovee_protein_RD.pdf

                3. "Effects of Dietary Protein Intake on Renal Functions," by Delmar Finco,
                DVM, PhD (Univ of Ga) at
                http://www.geocities.com/jjfleisher/finco.pdf

                4. "Dietary Protein and the Kidney" by Patricia Schenck, DVM, PhD (Michigan
                State Univ) at
                http://web.archive.org/web/20040205075757/http://www.cm-d.com/buckeye/tech_manual/8_28.html

                5. www.dogaware.com/kidney.html

                // Rosemary