Using Iso on an HCM kitty...

  • Dee Dalton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2005
      Can someone please advise me? My 12-year-old Maine Coon neuter has a
      serum-filled hematoma/cyst on his ear pinna. My vet drained it twice (two
      days apart) last week and put him on antibiotics to prevent infection.
      Because I didn't want him to undergo general anesthesia with mild/moderate
      HCM, I would not let the vet do surgery on him.

      Over the weekend, his pinna filled up like a balloon and now I'm worried
      about not doing some sort of surgery. My vet said she'll try using a local
      anesthetic and make an elliptical incision and some sutures, along with a
      wrap to keep the ear flat against his head (preventing a build-up of any
      fluid). She really wants to use Iso before doing this procedure and she
      said that the local may not be enough to prevent pain and keep him still.
      She uses a tank to administer the Iso.

      Does anyone have an opinion about how risky it is to use Iso on a cat with
      HCM? He is asymptomatic and is not medicated for his heart condition. I
      would appreciate any advice.

      Thank you,
      Dee