Re: [FH] First time with Lasix

  • bengalboys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
      Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

      Lightning's med schedule now involves only one dose each of Lasix and
      Atenolol. I understand there are good reasons to give the Lasix in the morning. Would
      it be preferable to give the Atenolol at the same time, or at night, to
      decrease the risk of lethargy or blood pressure drop? Or does it make any
      difference?

      Lisa

      In a message dated 3/2/2005 2:04:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      rockii@... writes:

      > You can read about side-effects here -
      > http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202205.html
      >
      > I've found the only side-effect my girl Pepper has suffered from is
      > lethargy. That goes for the diuretic (furosemide), beta-blocker (atenolol) and
      > ACE-inhibitor (enalapril).

      Save a life. Support the Ricky Fund.
      http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/ricky-fund.html

    • Sue B
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
        Lisa,

        I try to give them at different times so it doesn't knock her out. I find that when she gets her different meds too close together, she doesn't feel as well.

        Sue

      • lclarizia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          Hi Lisa,

          Welcome to the list, though I'm sorry you had to join us!

          > 1. I'll be giving Lightning his first-ever dose of Lasix in a few hours.
          > Are
          > there any symptoms or side effects I should look for? I want to behave as
          > normally as possible around him. Typically he sleeps in an otherwise empty
          > room
          > during the afternoon. He likes to nap in private during the day. Should I
          > keep him near me all day today to watch for symptoms or can I just peek in
          > on him
          > every once in a while?

          Whenever you start a cat on any med, no matter how innocuous it seems, always
          watch them for the first day or two. You can just peek in on him every so
          often :)

          The most common response to lasix is increased urination (of course) and
          increased thirst. Unless your vet told you differently, you should not restrict
          his access to water. In fact, I'd suggest making sure he has free access to
          fresh water, maybe put a bowl out for him in his nap-room.

          Because he'll be peeing more, there is always the possibility he will be a
          bit weak. Some cats, like some humans, have a super-charged response to
          diuretics -- so if he seems weak and lethargic, and won't eat, let your vet know
          immediately. He may need his dose cut until he gets used to it.

          > 2. My vet has messy handwriting. (Don't they all?) The prescription looks
          > as if it says the Lasix should be compounded to a 10 mg dose. However, that
          > could be 16 mg. Which number is typical?

          It depends on the cat -- either actually could be normal.

          I hope Lightening is feeling better soon!

          Lisa