Enalapril

  • debs552000
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 7:39 PM
      I believe there are different companies making this drug with
      different size pills, same dose. The first bottle of Enalapril I
      received from the vet, those pills were small and easy to cut in
      half. Then I ordered them from an online pharmacy, they were much
      larger, still same mg, and terrible to cut in half. Maybe ask for
      the smaller pill. Something I wouldn't think to do. We learn all
      the time. Good luck.

      Debby
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
        Caroline,

        Enalapril is an ACE-Inhibitor that modulates the
        neurohormonal response to a heart that is not working
        optimally. It is the lomg term deleterious effects of
        that neurohormonal response that makes heart disease
        progressive.

        ACE-I and beta-blockers such as atenolol work on two
        different types of neurohormonal response. BB blocks
        the effects of the SNS ie. Sympathetic Nervous System
        (flight or fight) and ACE-I inhibits the activation of
        the RAAS (renin angiotensin aldosterone system)

        Lots of cats on this list are on enalapril and or
        atenolol.

        Susan

        --- Caroline Sudbay <seasuds@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > My ocicat Boca just had a check-up today after
        > starting atenolol 2 weeks ago. Her heart rate is
        > down
        > and murmur is better.
        >
        > They suggested putting her on enalapril in addition
        > continuing with the atenolol. Was just wondering
        > about pros/cons of enalapril (kidney concerns?) and
        > if
        > maybe I should forgo this medicine and just stick
        > with
        > the atenolol.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Caroline and Boca

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Tia
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2005
          My Ozzie has been on both Atenolol and Enalapril for a few years now. His
          kidneys have tolerated it fine. After Oz first crashed, once the vets got
          him stabilized I was scared to change the meds. Once we added Enalapril
          though he was obviously lots happier.

          Tia
        • Bab006@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 20, 2006
            Well Sim is only on 1mg 1x a day. He weighs 11 lbs. Only one time has his
            heart rate been under 200 bpm at the vets office. I am sure it is up alittle
            there but she was amazed last visit that it was under 200. I don't know what
            regular is. Sim has RCM also and given NO hope. He is now referred as the
            "Freak of Nature" at my vets office. They said they didn't know what it was that
            kept him going... I said I know..LOVE and they kinda laughed but I didn't
            because I know it is true. He gets all the love and prayers I can give him and
            that combination can overcome alot and he has proved it to me and everyone.

            Bridget
            Check out my Ebay Store
            eBay Store - 0-BridgetsVintageUniqueFinds-0: On Sale, Free Shipping, Puzzles

          • Leah Ferron
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 21, 2006
              Thank you all for sharing your Enalapril dosing. I guess Alec is somewhere in the middle of dosages. It is good to know it can be increased or decreased as needed. Thanks again everbody!

              Leah and her cats

            • Leah Ferron
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 21, 2007
                Here is some info I found out about the Enalapril (look near the bottom of the excerpts I pasted):

                HOW SUPPLIED Enalapril Maleate Tablets, USP are available containing 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg or 20 mg of enalapril maleate.
                The 2.5 mg tablets are white, round, biconvex tablets debossed with M over E15 on one side and scored on the other side. They are available as follows:
                NDC 0378-1051-01
                bottles of 100 tablets
                NDC 0378-1051-05
                bottles of 500 tablets
                The 5 mg tablets are white, round, biconvex tablets debossed with M over E16 on one side and scored on the other side. They are available as follows:
                NDC 0378-1052-01
                bottles of 100 tablets
                NDC 0378-1052-10
                bottles of 1000 tablets
                The 10 mg tablets are light blue, round, biconvex tablets debossed with M over E17 on one side and blank on the other side. They are available as follows:
                NDC 0378-1053-01
                bottles of 100 tablets
                NDC 0378-1053-10
                bottles of 1000 tablets
                The 20 mg tablets are medium blue, round, biconvex tablets debossed with M over E18 on one side and blank on the other side. They are available as follows:
                NDC 0378-1054-01
                bottles of 100 tablets
                NDC 0378-1054-05
                bottles of 500 tablets

                STORE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE 15° TO 30°C (59° TO 86°F).
                PROTECT FROM MOISTURE.

                Enalapril maleate is a white to off-white, crystalline powder. It is sparingly soluble in water, soluble in ethanol, and freely soluble in methanol.

                This all came from this website: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?id=2725&type=display

                Leah and her cats and Angel Alec