Re: [FH] Introduction - Roo our special needs kitty

  • Janice
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      Kim,
      I googled radial hypoplasia to learn a bit more about it.
      I found this website - http://members.aol.com/moggycat/rh-cats.htm
      Oddly enough the first cat mentioned on it is also named Roo - and they
      discuss this cat having heart problems - and passing away due to CHF.

      Welcome to our group - and I'm sorry you had to join. Your kitties (&
      kiddies) are cute!

      I hope you find helpful information while you are here.
      Janice

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2005
        Hi Kim,

        Welcome to the list, though I am sorry you had to join us!

        > He also had very high liver enzymes and WBC. They put him on 3
        > medicines - two antibiotics and lasix. We returned last week to our
        > regular vet for bloodwork, and everything looked normal except his
        > liver enzymes were still a bit elevated. His heart and lungs sound
        > good, and she couldn't even hear the heart murmor. They have ruled
        > out heartworm, FIV, FeLV, and toxoplasmosis. We will return to the
        > cardiologist in 2 weeks for a repeat echo. Then we will know if it is
        > a valve infection that will get better or if it is a congenital heart
        > problem in which case he will go into congestive heart failure again.
        > He will stay on lasix until his appointment.

        Poor Roo! I'm glad he's responding well to his meds. I think it's curious
        that he had CHF combined with the high WBCs and liver enzymes, which do suggest
        an infection of some sort. It's also good that the murmur is either gone or
        quieter -- you said repeat echo -- what did the first one suggest? Was his
        heart enlarged, or did they just see valve problems? It's awful when this
        happens to a cat of any age, but it's especially heartbreaking when it happens to
        babies ... I hope Roo feels better soon!

        Lisa