Re: [FH] First time with Lasix

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
      Lisa,

      I would think that 10mg would be the dosage. You can get Lasix in 12.5mg pills or the generic version - Furosemide - in 10mg pills.

      You can read about side-effects here -
      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202205.html

      I've found the only side-effect my girl Pepper has suffered from is lethargy. That goes for the diuretic (furosemide), beta-blocker (atenolol) and ACE-inhibitor (enalapril).

      BTW - I know compounding is very expensive. It seems that the lasix has no smell or taste. I grind it up and add it to Pepper's canned food. She's a very picky eater and has never hesitated to dig in.

      Sue

      At this very moment, the compounding pharmacy is whipping up a batch of Lasix
      for him. I have two questions about this:

      1. I'll be giving Lightning his first-ever dose of Lasix in a few hours. Are
      there any symptoms or side effects I should look for? I want to behave as
      normally as possible around him. Typically he sleeps in an otherwise empty room
      during the afternoon. He likes to nap in private during the day. Should I
      keep him near me all day today to watch for symptoms or can I just peek in on him
      every once in a while?

      2. My vet has messy handwriting. (Don't they all?) The prescription looks
      as if it says the Lasix should be compounded to a 10 mg dose. However, that
      could be 16 mg. Which number is typical?

    • bengalboys@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
        Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

        Lightning's med schedule now involves only one dose each of Lasix and
        Atenolol. I understand there are good reasons to give the Lasix in the morning. Would
        it be preferable to give the Atenolol at the same time, or at night, to
        decrease the risk of lethargy or blood pressure drop? Or does it make any
        difference?

        Lisa

        In a message dated 3/2/2005 2:04:12 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        rockii@... writes:

        > You can read about side-effects here -
        > http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202205.html
        >
        > I've found the only side-effect my girl Pepper has suffered from is
        > lethargy. That goes for the diuretic (furosemide), beta-blocker (atenolol) and
        > ACE-inhibitor (enalapril).

        Save a life. Support the Ricky Fund.
        http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/ricky-fund.html

      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
          Lisa,

          I try to give them at different times so it doesn't knock her out. I find that when she gets her different meds too close together, she doesn't feel as well.

          Sue

        • lclarizia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2005
            Hi Lisa,

            Welcome to the list, though I'm sorry you had to join us!

            > 1. I'll be giving Lightning his first-ever dose of Lasix in a few hours.
            > Are
            > there any symptoms or side effects I should look for? I want to behave as
            > normally as possible around him. Typically he sleeps in an otherwise empty
            > room
            > during the afternoon. He likes to nap in private during the day. Should I
            > keep him near me all day today to watch for symptoms or can I just peek in
            > on him
            > every once in a while?

            Whenever you start a cat on any med, no matter how innocuous it seems, always
            watch them for the first day or two. You can just peek in on him every so
            often :)

            The most common response to lasix is increased urination (of course) and
            increased thirst. Unless your vet told you differently, you should not restrict
            his access to water. In fact, I'd suggest making sure he has free access to
            fresh water, maybe put a bowl out for him in his nap-room.

            Because he'll be peeing more, there is always the possibility he will be a
            bit weak. Some cats, like some humans, have a super-charged response to
            diuretics -- so if he seems weak and lethargic, and won't eat, let your vet know
            immediately. He may need his dose cut until he gets used to it.

            > 2. My vet has messy handwriting. (Don't they all?) The prescription looks
            > as if it says the Lasix should be compounded to a 10 mg dose. However, that
            > could be 16 mg. Which number is typical?

            It depends on the cat -- either actually could be normal.

            I hope Lightening is feeling better soon!

            Lisa