Re: Introduction - Roo our special needs kitty

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      What a cute kitty! I hope you can get help for him, too! Does he have
      HCM or DCM? How long have you had him & Where did you get him? He is
      SO young to have this problem, I tend to agree it may be
      congenital... what a precious kitten, please keep us posted on his
      progress.

      Your girls are gorgeous too! Love the website!

      Karen
      http://www.ziggycat.netfirms.com/

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <MeiLiMom@a...> wrote:

      > I am new here and wanted to say hi. Our little kitty Roo is 9
      months
      > old and has radial hypoplasia. A few months ago our vet had heard a
      > heart murmor. At the time, it didn't seem to be a big problem, but
      > when it was time to talk about having him nuetered, our vet wanted
      > do an ultrasound of his heart. The ultrasound didn't show anything
      > other than the murmor and we scheduled the surgery for the next
      week.
      > We ended up delaying the surgery because he vomited worms while he
      > was at the vet. He had been de-wormed before, but he still had some
      > in him.
      >
      > Two weeks ago as I was getting my girls ready for school, I saw Roo
      > on the bed struggling to breathe. He was on his back (he sleeps
      like
      > this) with his tongue sticking out and he was panting loudly. His
      > gums were blue. I rushed him to our vet, and by the time I got
      there
      > he looked better. They kept him for observation and for most of the
      > morning he did great. In the afternoon he had another episode of
      > rapid breathing and panting. His gums were blue again and his heart
      > rate was racing. They did an EKG and x-rayed his lungs. He had
      fluid
      > in his lungs and the vet said he was in congestive heart failure.
      > They said it could be a congenital problem like his arms, or could
      be
      > something temporary. Our vet was only open until 7, so they made
      > arrangements for us to have him stay at the University of Penn Vet
      > Hospital because he needed to be on oxygen in order to breathe.
      >
      > This really took us by surprise. We love him so much. One day he
      was
      > running around playing and the next day they were talking to us
      about
      > euthenasia. He is just the sweetest little thing and we have had
      him
      > for such a short time. He loves the girls and our other kitty Boo
      Boo