Re: [FH] Update on Tavy's cardio appointment

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- MS <ms3213@...> wrote:

      > 6) I asked what the indications for increasing
      > atenolol would be. I don't
      > remember everything about his answer, but I think he
      > said he doesn't usually
      > adjust that often.

      Jenifer,

      Atenolol is really good at lowering a too fast heart
      rate (tachycardia) It is used in human heart failure
      in addition to lasix and enalapril but it is started
      at a very tiny dose and titrated up. People report
      feeling worse on atenolol before eventually feeling
      better. Keep in mind people typically suffer from
      systolic rather than diastolic disfunction and
      beta-blockers are people meds that can only be cut
      into halves or quarters.

      > -Do you know about indications for atenolol dose?
      > I've noticed some of your
      > cats on are higher doseages than mine (tavy is on
      > 6.25 twice/day).

      My cat is on 12 mg. probably based on his hyperkinetic
      heart before atenolol. He is 8 lbs.

      Since Tavy is a girl and older has hyperT absolutely
      been ruled out? My mom's neighbors cat was referred to
      Rudy's internist recently. He was initially diagnosed
      with mild HCM and put on atenolol, but eventually
      because the internist said you could not rule out
      hyperT based only on a negative lab work result,
      somehow discovered nodes on the thyroid and was
      referred to a surgeon for removal. I have not spoken
      to the owner since the initial HCM diagnosis, but I am
      thinking the thyroid node removal may resolve the HCM
      as the HCM may be secondary to the thyroid problem.

      Susan

      =====

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!