Introduction - Roo our special needs kitty

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      I am new here and wanted to say hi. Our little kitty Roo is 9 months
      old and has radial hypoplasia. A few months ago our vet had heard a
      heart murmor. At the time, it didn't seem to be a big problem, but
      when it was time to talk about having him nuetered, our vet wanted to
      do an ultrasound of his heart. The ultrasound didn't show anything
      other than the murmor and we scheduled the surgery for the next week.
      We ended up delaying the surgery because he vomited worms while he
      was at the vet. He had been de-wormed before, but he still had some
      in him.

      Two weeks ago as I was getting my girls ready for school, I saw Roo
      on the bed struggling to breathe. He was on his back (he sleeps like
      this) with his tongue sticking out and he was panting loudly. His
      gums were blue. I rushed him to our vet, and by the time I got there
      he looked better. They kept him for observation and for most of the
      morning he did great. In the afternoon he had another episode of
      rapid breathing and panting. His gums were blue again and his heart
      rate was racing. They did an EKG and x-rayed his lungs. He had fluid
      in his lungs and the vet said he was in congestive heart failure.
      They said it could be a congenital problem like his arms, or could be
      something temporary. Our vet was only open until 7, so they made
      arrangements for us to have him stay at the University of Penn Vet
      Hospital because he needed to be on oxygen in order to breathe.

      This really took us by surprise. We love him so much. One day he was
      running around playing and the next day they were talking to us about
      euthenasia. He is just the sweetest little thing and we have had him
      for such a short time. He loves the girls and our other kitty Boo Boo
      and I don't know what we would do without him. They are not sure if
      there is a treatment until they know what is wrong. I just never
      thought we'd be thinking about this so soon. We went through this
      with our Golden when he had the brain tumor. We spent thousands and
      thousands of dollars and he died within 4 months anyway.

      Roo stayed overnight that Friday and was able to come home with us
      the next day. The medicine helped his breathing, so he does not need
      ozygen, and he was alert and active, so they said he could come home.

      He also had very high liver enzymes and WBC. They put him on 3
      medicines - two antibiotics and lasix. We returned last week to our
      regular vet for bloodwork, and everything looked normal except his
      liver enzymes were still a bit elevated. His heart and lungs sound
      good, and she couldn't even hear the heart murmor. They have ruled
      out heartworm, FIV, FeLV, and toxoplasmosis. We will return to the
      cardiologist in 2 weeks for a repeat echo. Then we will know if it is
      a valve infection that will get better or if it is a congenital heart
      problem in which case he will go into congestive heart failure again.
      He will stay on lasix until his appointment.

      Roo looks great now, but I don't know if he is really better or if it
      is the medicine. He is eating like crazy, following me everywhere,
      chasing our other kitty, and playing with anything he can find. He is
      just the sweetest kitty.

      Here is a website that my girls designed for Roo before they knew he
      was sick:
      http://www.ouradoptionstories.com/roospage.html

      Thank you for listening.

      Kim R
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        What a cute kitty! I hope you can get help for him, too! Does he have
        HCM or DCM? How long have you had him & Where did you get him? He is
        SO young to have this problem, I tend to agree it may be
        congenital... what a precious kitten, please keep us posted on his
        progress.

        Your girls are gorgeous too! Love the website!

        Karen
        http://www.ziggycat.netfirms.com/