Re: [FH] Update on Shadow's CHF

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Tami,

      > My vet called the cardiologist and she wanted me to have my vet give him
      > Lasix through an IV and keep him there and then she would call later after
      > she
      > reviewed his x-rays. But, I said that I didn't want to leave him there on
      > an IV
      > again, since I just don't have the funds for this. So, we decided that I
      > would bring him home and give him another dose of lasix and wait to hear
      > from the
      > cardiologist. This is the way I feel about the situation....if I can't
      > maintain him at home on lasix then I will probably have to put him to sleep.
      > I mean
      > he can't live at the vets office on IVs or stay there frequently...I just
      > can't afford it. The only realistic hope is that he can remain clear of the
      > fluid
      > on lasix given at home. I don't mind getting occasional x-rays or
      > bloodwork,
      > but I just can't afford those hospital stays, they just add up to way too
      > much money. It has already cost me $1,400+ in the last week. If he didn't
      > have a
      > bad heart to begin with and wasn't 15 1/2 I might look at the situation
      > differently. But, he has a bad heart and there is no getting around that
      > fact and
      > the CHF now is just adding to his problems (not to mention his kidney
      > disease).

      It's a tough situation you're in ... especially since he has kidney disease.
      My one suggestion is to ask your vet to prescribe you some injectable lasix
      and some syringes, and have them show you how to do it subcutaneously. Oral
      lasix works more slowly than does injected or IV -- IV works the fastest, I
      imagine that's why the cardiologist wanted it done. It's much cheaper than having
      it done IV, and you can space the total dose so it mimics an IV
      administration. For instance, during my cat's last crisis, I gave him his max dose spaced
      in four-hour increments. Ask them to give you a bottle of it, not just loaded
      syringes because lasix can precipitate when in contact with plastic.
      Hopefully increasing his oral dose will help him, but having the injectable kind on
      hand is very useful.

      I don't remember all Shadow's meds, but you might ask them to start him on
      spironolactone as well as lasix -- together they have a synergistic effect and
      work better. My cat is on both and he has horribly refractory CHF. Also,
      ACE-inhibitors like enalapril are very effective at helping control CHF. Then
      there is my favorite supplement, coenzyme-q10 with L-carnitine -- human studies
      suggest it's very helpful at controlling CHF.

      I hope all this helps ... will be thinking of and praying for you and Shadow!

      Lisa