Re: [FH] Question re: Enalapril

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 8:23 PM
      In a message dated 3/1/2005 10:19:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      ms3213@... writes:

      > How are you guys giving your cats enalapril? Anyone out there crushing, and
      > have you been told it's okay to do this? It's a big enough pill that it
      > seems too big to pill...

      I crush it into a compound -- I double-checked with the pharmacist first. I
      figured it was, since he was getting it in a liquid compound *they* made but
      wanted to be doubly sure. I have pilled him with it, too -- but he hates pills
      no matter what size. As far as its taste -- slightly bitter (I tasted) so
      maybe that's why Tavy didn't like it.

      Lisa

    • Neysa423
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 11:54 AM
        From what my compounding pharmacist says, she gets enalapril in some
        sort of powdered form to mix with the flavoring rather than crushing
        pills. But yes, the pills can also be crushed - I checked on that
        when I was attempting to hide the pills in food. Lucy doesn't seem
        to find the enalapril nearly as bitter as the Accolate she's on for
        asthma (she salivates and foams at the mouth for an hour after she's
        had that if it's not well mixed with something)
      • Linda Fischbach
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 12:42 PM
          Get some empty gelcaps for pills. Then there is NO taste to any pill.

          Linda