Well, I took Shadow back to my regular vet for x-rays and bloodwork today.
His blood work looked good, but his x-rays showed more fluid in his lungs (they
were 85% clear when I picked him up from the cardiologist last Friday night).
My vet called the cardiologist and she wanted me to have my vet give him
Lasix through an IV and keep him there and then she would call later after she
reviewed his x-rays. But, I said that I didn't want to leave him there on an IV
again, since I just don't have the funds for this. So, we decided that I
would bring him home and give him another dose of lasix and wait to hear from the
cardiologist. This is the way I feel about the situation....if I can't
maintain him at home on lasix then I will probably have to put him to sleep. I mean
he can't live at the vets office on IVs or stay there frequently...I just
can't afford it. The only realistic hope is that he can remain clear of the fluid
on lasix given at home. I don't mind getting occasional x-rays or bloodwork,
but I just can't afford those hospital stays, they just add up to way too
much money. It has already cost me $1,400+ in the last week. If he didn't have a
bad heart to begin with and wasn't 15 1/2 I might look at the situation
differently. But, he has a bad heart and there is no getting around that fact and
the CHF now is just adding to his problems (not to mention his kidney
The cardiologist's vet tech called me tonight and said to give him two doses
of lasix (12.5 mg) tonight and then two tomorrow (and two everyday on out for
now) and then bring him back directly to the cardiologist's office on Thursday
for another x-ray.
Shadow seems to be doing ok. He is sleeping a lot this evening but other than
that seems ok. His respirations were higher at the vet's office than they
have been at home. It is SO hard to tell when there is a problem! The only
clue I had this morning was that he went in my closet and was laying under my
clothes, which is what he did the first day he got CHF. So I had a little
feeling that he might have more fluid today.
Well, thanks to everyone that responded to my first post and I will let you
know how Shadow does. Please keep your fingers crossed for Shadow to respond
well to the higher dose of lasix.
Tami & Shadow
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]