Re: [FH] Question re: Enalapril

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Jenifer,

      Pepper is getting enalapril compounded as a liquid so yes - it's ok to crush it. I don't know how it tastes - I should probably try it to see.

      When I started Pepper on enalapril (and atenolol), I had to give her half-doses until she got used to it. There was too much of a drop in her blood pressure.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        In a message dated 3/1/2005 10:19:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        ms3213@... writes:

        > How are you guys giving your cats enalapril? Anyone out there crushing, and
        > have you been told it's okay to do this? It's a big enough pill that it
        > seems too big to pill...

        I crush it into a compound -- I double-checked with the pharmacist first. I
        figured it was, since he was getting it in a liquid compound *they* made but
        wanted to be doubly sure. I have pilled him with it, too -- but he hates pills
        no matter what size. As far as its taste -- slightly bitter (I tasted) so
        maybe that's why Tavy didn't like it.

        Lisa

      • Neysa423
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
          From what my compounding pharmacist says, she gets enalapril in some
          sort of powdered form to mix with the flavoring rather than crushing
          pills. But yes, the pills can also be crushed - I checked on that
          when I was attempting to hide the pills in food. Lucy doesn't seem
          to find the enalapril nearly as bitter as the Accolate she's on for
          asthma (she salivates and foams at the mouth for an hour after she's
          had that if it's not well mixed with something)
        • Linda Fischbach
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2005
            Get some empty gelcaps for pills. Then there is NO taste to any pill.

            Linda