Re: [FH] Any luck changing from Dilacor to Atenelol?

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      Audra,

      You can look up side-effects here -
      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a684031.html

      My girl has been on it for 3 months now. The only thing I see is that it tends to make her a bit lethargic.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
        My Spooky (14 yrs old) has been taking Dilacor for 7 years and just
        went for his annual heart check. The vet said he had moderate left
        atrial chamber enlargement, moderately thickened inter ventricular
        septum, and moderately thickened posterior free wall. His bloodwork
        and urinalysis were both great. He want him to start taking 1/2 25mg
        tablet of Atenolol daily IN ADDITION to his Dilacor.

        Does anyone have a kitty taking BOTH meds? I am feeling reluctant,
        since he has done so well for so long.

        Thanks for any feedback!

        Linda & Spooky

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lise Cummings
        <lisecummings@y...> wrote:
        > Audra,
        >
        > Tigger started on Atenolol in 1996, but when the vet
        > thought his murmur was a little worse, they switched
        > him to diltiazem (which I believe is the generic name
        > for dilacor). He was only on it a week, and got
        > really sick (repeated vomiting). So, back to Atenolol
        > he went. He's been on Atenolol ever since, and hasn't
        > had any side effects as far as I can see.
        >
        > Lise
        >
        > --- amazing_audra <audra_mitchell@h...> wrote:
        >

        > > I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol,
        > > because she lost 4
        > > pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea.
        > > The cardiologist
        > > said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do
        > > well on Atenelol.
        > >
        > > Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol?

        > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
      • jen
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
          Linda,

          Deagan is presently taking 25 mg twice daily of atenolol. If his
          HCM begins to progress we will be upping his dosage to 50 mg twice
          daily - this is *way* more than any other kitty here. Deag's
          cardiologist only has one other kitty on this dosage. If this
          doesn't stop the progression, she said we would add a calcium
          channel blocker, dilacor aka cardizem or diltiazem is the most
          common one used. These drugs are regularly prescribed together in
          humans, but not many kitties on the list are on both. You will have
          to keep watch that Spooky can still jump up on the things he
          normally does, apparently losing this ability can indicate low blood
          pressure which is the most likely serious side effect.

          jen, deagan and kira the dog

          3 yo asymptomatic; Atenolol 25 mg twice daily, CoQ10 30 mg once
          daily; Cardio-strength once daily (by vetri-science)

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "laja1515" <vze2dvs7@v...>
          wrote:

          > My Spooky (14 yrs old) has been taking Dilacor for 7 years and
          just
          > went for his annual heart check. The vet said he had moderate
          left
          > atrial chamber enlargement, moderately thickened inter ventricular
          > septum, and moderately thickened posterior free wall. His
          bloodwork
          > and urinalysis were both great. He want him to start taking 1/2
          25mg
          > tablet of Atenolol daily IN ADDITION to his Dilacor.
          >
          > Does anyone have a kitty taking BOTH meds? I am feeling
          reluctant,
          > since he has done so well for so long.
          >

          > Thanks for any feedback!
          >
          > Linda & Spooky
          >

          > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lise Cummings
          > <lisecummings@y...> wrote:
          > > Audra,
          > >
          > > Tigger started on Atenolol in 1996, but when the vet
          > > thought his murmur was a little worse, they switched
          > > him to diltiazem (which I believe is the generic name
          > > for dilacor). He was only on it a week, and got
          > > really sick (repeated vomiting). So, back to Atenolol
          > > he went. He's been on Atenolol ever since, and hasn't
          > > had any side effects as far as I can see.
          > >
          > > Lise
          > >
          > > --- amazing_audra <audra_mitchell@h...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol,
          > > > because she lost 4
          > > > pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea.
          > > > The cardiologist
          > > > said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do
          > > > well on Atenelol.
          > > >
          > > > Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol?

          > > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.
          > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        • ireneboater
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
            Is there a reason to give just enalapril vs atenolol? I'm sure there
            is a very easy explaination. Sorry if it's silly.

            By the way, Scratchy is home, comfortable and eating and drinking
            great. He usually is able to make it to the litter box in his own
            (sometimes he can't get into the box full and pees on the towel and
            training pads I have next to the box).

            He went to see the cardiologist to day and they say he looks great
            for how he is. (they just did blood work really). He is able
            to 'drag' himself around and can get down off the bed on his own.
            He's still pretty sleepy but doing great (in my book).

            We are upping the dosage of the Fragmin to .06ml twice a day (or
            6 "units" on the insulin syringe). by the way, anyone know a place
            that sells them cheap? The vet gave me Kendal Monojet 3/10cc 29ga x
            1/2 in lenth. Is that a good company?

            So Scratchy is on 6.5mg of once a day: Lasix, Enalapril 5mg. 82mg
            aspirin every 3 days. twice a day: Fragmin .06ml, Nattokinese 100mg,
            and CoQ10 100mg (1/2 morning then 1/2 night for both). I bought
            400mg of Vitamin E but he seems soooo sleepy so i cut that one thing
            out.

            Thanks again for everyone's input and help. It is greatly
            appreciated!!!!!!!

            Irene and Scratchy.