Any luck changing from Dilacor to Atenelol?

  • amazing_audra
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
      I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol, because she lost 4
      pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea. The cardiologist
      said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do well on Atenelol.

      Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol? For example, my
      kitty would get very nauseaus 12-20 hours after taking her Dilacor
      and often throw up. Last night I gave my kitty her first Atenelol,
      and she woke up with a very good appetite. I'm hoping that continues
      and that the new medicine will not make her as sick.

      Just wondering what others experience has been.

      Audra Mitchell & Sissy
    • Lise Cummings
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
        Audra,

        Tigger started on Atenolol in 1996, but when the vet
        thought his murmur was a little worse, they switched
        him to diltiazem (which I believe is the generic name
        for dilacor). He was only on it a week, and got
        really sick (repeated vomiting). So, back to Atenolol
        he went. He's been on Atenolol ever since, and hasn't
        had any side effects as far as I can see.

        Lise

        --- amazing_audra <audra_mitchell@...> wrote:

        > I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol,
        > because she lost 4
        > pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea.
        > The cardiologist
        > said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do
        > well on Atenelol.
        >
        > Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol?

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2005
          Audra,

          You can look up side-effects here -
          http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a684031.html

          My girl has been on it for 3 months now. The only thing I see is that it tends to make her a bit lethargic.

          Sue

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
            My Spooky (14 yrs old) has been taking Dilacor for 7 years and just
            went for his annual heart check. The vet said he had moderate left
            atrial chamber enlargement, moderately thickened inter ventricular
            septum, and moderately thickened posterior free wall. His bloodwork
            and urinalysis were both great. He want him to start taking 1/2 25mg
            tablet of Atenolol daily IN ADDITION to his Dilacor.

            Does anyone have a kitty taking BOTH meds? I am feeling reluctant,
            since he has done so well for so long.

            Thanks for any feedback!

            Linda & Spooky

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lise Cummings
            <lisecummings@y...> wrote:
            > Audra,
            >
            > Tigger started on Atenolol in 1996, but when the vet
            > thought his murmur was a little worse, they switched
            > him to diltiazem (which I believe is the generic name
            > for dilacor). He was only on it a week, and got
            > really sick (repeated vomiting). So, back to Atenolol
            > he went. He's been on Atenolol ever since, and hasn't
            > had any side effects as far as I can see.
            >
            > Lise
            >
            > --- amazing_audra <audra_mitchell@h...> wrote:
            >

            > > I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol,
            > > because she lost 4
            > > pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea.
            > > The cardiologist
            > > said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do
            > > well on Atenelol.
            > >
            > > Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol?

            > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • jen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2005
              Linda,

              Deagan is presently taking 25 mg twice daily of atenolol. If his
              HCM begins to progress we will be upping his dosage to 50 mg twice
              daily - this is *way* more than any other kitty here. Deag's
              cardiologist only has one other kitty on this dosage. If this
              doesn't stop the progression, she said we would add a calcium
              channel blocker, dilacor aka cardizem or diltiazem is the most
              common one used. These drugs are regularly prescribed together in
              humans, but not many kitties on the list are on both. You will have
              to keep watch that Spooky can still jump up on the things he
              normally does, apparently losing this ability can indicate low blood
              pressure which is the most likely serious side effect.

              jen, deagan and kira the dog

              3 yo asymptomatic; Atenolol 25 mg twice daily, CoQ10 30 mg once
              daily; Cardio-strength once daily (by vetri-science)

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "laja1515" <vze2dvs7@v...>
              wrote:

              > My Spooky (14 yrs old) has been taking Dilacor for 7 years and
              just
              > went for his annual heart check. The vet said he had moderate
              left
              > atrial chamber enlargement, moderately thickened inter ventricular
              > septum, and moderately thickened posterior free wall. His
              bloodwork
              > and urinalysis were both great. He want him to start taking 1/2
              25mg
              > tablet of Atenolol daily IN ADDITION to his Dilacor.
              >
              > Does anyone have a kitty taking BOTH meds? I am feeling
              reluctant,
              > since he has done so well for so long.
              >

              > Thanks for any feedback!
              >
              > Linda & Spooky
              >

              > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Lise Cummings
              > <lisecummings@y...> wrote:
              > > Audra,
              > >
              > > Tigger started on Atenolol in 1996, but when the vet
              > > thought his murmur was a little worse, they switched
              > > him to diltiazem (which I believe is the generic name
              > > for dilacor). He was only on it a week, and got
              > > really sick (repeated vomiting). So, back to Atenolol
              > > he went. He's been on Atenolol ever since, and hasn't
              > > had any side effects as far as I can see.
              > >
              > > Lise
              > >
              > > --- amazing_audra <audra_mitchell@h...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > I just switched my cat from Dilacor to Atenelol,
              > > > because she lost 4
              > > > pounds in 2 months on the Dilacor due to nausea.
              > > > The cardiologist
              > > > said that most cats who can't tolerate Dilacor do
              > > > well on Atenelol.
              > > >
              > > > Anybody know of any side effects with Atenelol?

              > > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile phone.
              > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
            • ireneboater
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2005
                Is there a reason to give just enalapril vs atenolol? I'm sure there
                is a very easy explaination. Sorry if it's silly.

                By the way, Scratchy is home, comfortable and eating and drinking
                great. He usually is able to make it to the litter box in his own
                (sometimes he can't get into the box full and pees on the towel and
                training pads I have next to the box).

                He went to see the cardiologist to day and they say he looks great
                for how he is. (they just did blood work really). He is able
                to 'drag' himself around and can get down off the bed on his own.
                He's still pretty sleepy but doing great (in my book).

                We are upping the dosage of the Fragmin to .06ml twice a day (or
                6 "units" on the insulin syringe). by the way, anyone know a place
                that sells them cheap? The vet gave me Kendal Monojet 3/10cc 29ga x
                1/2 in lenth. Is that a good company?

                So Scratchy is on 6.5mg of once a day: Lasix, Enalapril 5mg. 82mg
                aspirin every 3 days. twice a day: Fragmin .06ml, Nattokinese 100mg,
                and CoQ10 100mg (1/2 morning then 1/2 night for both). I bought
                400mg of Vitamin E but he seems soooo sleepy so i cut that one thing
                out.

                Thanks again for everyone's input and help. It is greatly
                appreciated!!!!!!!

                Irene and Scratchy.