Re: [FH] CoCo or Scratchy Updates?????????

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
      Fiber works to normalize the stool -- it's good for either diarrhea or
      constipation. Pumpkin is effective because it has lots of fiber.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hi Sue,

        In a message dated 2/25/05 8:38:21 PM, rockii@... writes:

        << I thought pumpkin was used to solidify the stool & as a cure for diarrhea.
        Isn't this counter-productive? >>

        No, it isn't. Pumpkin, along with all plants, contains insoluble fiber
        (generally in the form of cellulose), which is indigestible in the mammalian gut and
        which therefore increases stool volume and speeds gut transit, promoting
        elimination.

        Pumpkin, along with many other plants, also contains a certain amt of soluble
        fiber. Soluble fiber helps improve moisture balance in the gut, so if there
        is too much liquid in relation to solids (diarrhea), it reduces it; if there is
        too little liquid (constipation), it increases it. // Rosemary