leaving the group

  • ML C
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi all,

      I only recently joined this group when my cat Max was
      diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. I received some very
      warm and welcoming emails which were very emotionally
      supportive.

      However, I find I haven't the emotional strength to
      remain a member. I just put my dog Bailey down at
      Thanksgiving, then got this hideous diagnosis for Max.
      It seems as though every time I read the emails from
      this group, there is more sad news. Reading about
      Heather losing Telly today really tore me up.

      While I would like to be supportive of all of you
      right now, please understand that I'm not in a place
      to do so. I need to try and lead as stress-free and
      normal a life for Max and I each day as possible. I do
      not want to be reminded each day of the potential
      terrible outcome for cats with heart disease. I know
      Max could develop symptoms at any time. I just know
      it's too hard for me right now to read about your
      cats' symptoms. Since the diagnosis is so new, my mind
      is still in the "awfulizing" mode of worst case
      scenario, and I need to focus on maximizing the
      potential of each day.

      Thanks for being such great cat parents and
      caregivers. Thanks for offering support and knowing
      how difficult it can be to wrap your brain around the
      reality of this disease, especially when there are no
      visible symptoms. Thanks for understanding my
      decision.

      I'm impressed by the knowledge found here and the
      lengths people will go to in order to help their
      kittens and cats. You are wonderful, wonderful people.

      I will keep you in my thoughts - you and your pets,
      especially Heather and Telly. Thanks again.

      Mary Lou

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • shelly casey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
        Mary Lou,
        I know exactly what you are going through as I went through the same thing.......seeing all the emails each day is so tough as it is a constant reminder of the little one I have at home that I could lose at any time......but instead of cringing each time I saw all the emails.....I have decided to look at it as my responsibility to keep in the loop of things in case some magical news pops up that I could try on my guy Sam to try to help him. I want to give him all the support I can and I don't want to leave my one lifeline that I have that may give me that advice. I also find it supporting to know that others are really and truly going through what I am going through....even though that sounds bad...it makes me feel better to know others are out there just like me.....they are making it and so can I. I also like that I can from time to time write emails of thoughts to others or tips of what I have discovered to do that may help others as well. I will never forget how everyone
        helped me when I first learned of the HCM Sam has. I still am so grateful for all the emails I got. Everyone helped me more than they could ever know.

        I do respect your decision. I think you do need a break. I though wouldn't leave altogether forever as you never know......someday you may log in and find something spectacular written from someone that just might make your day.

        I wish you and Max all the best.
        Shelly & Sam (11 months old, living with HCM)

        ML C <maryleelou@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2005
          Mary Lou,

          I understand completely. My girl was just diagnosed with HCM in November and I agree that sometimes it's really difficult to read the posts. I cried when I read about Telly. I used to belong to the feline VAS group but had to leave since it was so depressing.

          You probably do need a break - but know that you are always welcome to return. There's so much information here that will help you when you need it.

          Don't forget about us when you have questions about Max.

          All the best to you and I hope you find peace.

          Sue

        • lclarizia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            Mary Lou,

            I totally understand how you feel ... but if you are leaving mainly because
            you feel you can't be supportive of others right now, please don't. The nature
            of the list is that sometimes we're the supportive ones and sometimes we're
            the ones howling at the moon in distress. Sometimes on the same day!

            It can be very hard to read about sick kitties, or to hear about the
            inevitable deaths as we're all aware that this is what is likely in store for most of
            us. But it's such a valuable resource -- if I hadn't joined the list, I
            wouldn't have been able to help my Baby Boy as much as I have.

            There wouldn't have been a Sonamblst-Susan to suggest that he didn't have HCM
            at all, but DCM or something else and to get him to a cardiologist, which
            turned out to be the case. There wouldn't have been a Deena to lend me an O2
            cage and go with me to the cardiologist for moral support. There wouldn't have
            been a Steph to send me info on healing crises, or any number of wonderful
            people I can't name here otherwise this email will be pages long who have given me
            support, advice and invaluable information such as dietary supplements which
            I'm convinced have helped my boy tremendously.

            I also wouldn't have a Baby Boy because without this list and the help I've
            found here, he would have died back in October. He's a very sick cat, and his
            time is limited. But thanks to this list and the people on it, I have had
            three plus months in which to help him feel great (for the most part), cherish,
            spoil and show my precious baby every single day how very loved he is.

            I hope that you will come back, or at least check the messages on Yahoo
            groups. And of course, if you ever need any help or advice, we're here for you.

            Lisa

          • Sue B

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
                In a message dated 2/4/2005 10:26:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                rockii@... writes:

                > Not to sound corny, but this is an amazing group and I'm proud to be part
                > of it. There is such support and understanding here - it brings tears to my
                > eyes. Thank you all!

                I second that -- there are no words to express how grateful I am that this
                group exists or how much it means to me to know I can turn to it for anything.

                Lisa