Chest Tap - Is a sedative possible?

  • lise80027
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi,

      Tigger is somewhat full of fluid (pleural effusion). We got his
      chest tapped once (Jan. 10), but he has filled up somewhat since
      then. We asked the vet if he should have his chest tapped, but
      Tigger was not acting cooperative at that vet visit (at the previous
      visit, the vet was unable to draw blood because Tigger was so cranky -
      he kept jerking when the vet tried).

      The time we got it tapped, he was more cooperative (I think because
      he was so full he didn't feel very good). I think Tigger would be
      more comfortable if we got it tapped (we've upped his diuretic
      dosage, so maybe he wouldn't fill up so fast again). So, I'm
      wondering if it's possible to sedate him - not full anesthesia, but
      something to 'take the edge off' so he'd relax a little at the vet.

      How do the rest of you handle your kitties when they need their chest
      tapped?

      Thanks,
      Lise

      Tigger - 14 1/2 years old, diagnosed with HCM 4/1996, downgraded to
      RCM 5/2004, started experiencing heart failure 1/1/2005. Cute as a
      button!
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        Lise,

        According to:
        Emergency Respiratory Assessment
        Information on dypsnea (respiratory distress)
        http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00100.htm

        A severely dypneic cat can be intubated without
        sedative. I take this to mean that sedatives can be
        used.

        Susan

        --- lise80027 <lisecummings@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Tigger is somewhat full of fluid (pleural effusion).
        > We got his
        > chest tapped once (Jan. 10), but he has filled up
        > somewhat since
        > then. We asked the vet if he should have his chest
        > tapped, but
        > Tigger was not acting cooperative at that vet visit
        > (at the previous
        > visit, the vet was unable to draw blood because
        > Tigger was so cranky -
        > he kept jerking when the vet tried).
        >
        > The time we got it tapped, he was more cooperative
        > (I think because
        > he was so full he didn't feel very good). I think
        > Tigger would be
        > more comfortable if we got it tapped (we've upped
        > his diuretic
        > dosage, so maybe he wouldn't fill up so fast again).
        > So, I'm
        > wondering if it's possible to sedate him - not full
        > anesthesia, but
        > something to 'take the edge off' so he'd relax a
        > little at the vet.
        >
        > How do the rest of you handle your kitties when they
        > need their chest
        > tapped?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Lise
        >
        > Tigger - 14 1/2 years old, diagnosed with HCM
        > 4/1996, downgraded to
        > RCM 5/2004, started experiencing heart failure
        > 1/1/2005. Cute as a
        > button!

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • lclarizia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2005
          In a message dated 2/3/2005 4:56:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          lisecummings@... writes:

          > How do the rest of you handle your kitties when they need their chest
          > tapped?

          Yes, sedation is possible, it just can't be anything cardio-reactive, like
          ketamine.

          Baby Boy has had many taps ... for his first three (done three days in a
          row), he got isofluorane, a gas. He did okay with it but was very groggy. About
          three weeks later at Tufts, he had another after his ultrasound and they used
          valium and butorphanol (pain killer). He did *very* well with that, and when
          he needed three more about a month later, I asked that he be sedated with that
          combination and it worked very well then too. I definitely prefer it to gas,
          and it certainly "takes the edge off" -- he was relaxed for hours, though not
          groggy like he was with the isofluorane.

          Lisa