Re: [FH] Cardiomyopathy plus thyroid problem

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
      Leslie,

      What your vet meant is that HyperT is a primary
      disease that can cause a secondary disease of HCM. The
      reason hyperT caused HCM is technically better to have
      than primary HCM is because you can treat the hyperT
      and technically eliminate the reason for the heart's
      hypertrophy. I believe a positive outcome is dependent
      on successful treatment of the hyperT, but also
      severity of the existing hypertrophy at the time of
      the hyperT diagnosis.

      Susan

      --- lbevans102 <lbevans@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to this discussion. My beloved cat Zacky,
      > 15, a small
      > classic tabby, developed a heart murmur about 6
      > months ago. Two
      > weeks ago at a routine vet exam is was louder, so we
      > took an xray
      > and EKG, which was abnormal, and went to a cat
      > cardiologist.
      > Diagnosis: cardiomyopathy, thickened heart walls and
      > high heart
      > rate, as well as a thyroid condition. Prescription:
      > 1/2 a 25 mg
      > atenolol pill in the morning and a thyroid pill in
      > the evening.
      >
      > Zacky has no obvious symptoms, although he is
      > sleeping more than in
      > the past. He is still active part of the day and not
      > evidently short
      > of breath. Reading some of the posts it sounds like
      > long-term
      > survival from this is a lot more rare than a quick
      > decline. But the
      > cardiologist said the thyroid involvement was a good
      > sign, as that
      > can make for better response to treatment, as the
      > thyroid may be the
      > cause. Do people have comparable experience, and
      > what happened?
      >
      > Anxious in Los Angeles
      > Leslie

      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Susan Aufieri
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2005
        Hi Leslie,

        Welcome to the group, though I'm sorry you and Zacky have to go through this. As Susan
        said, it is "preferable" to have the hyper-t be the primary disease. Abby was diagnosed
        hyper-t, HCM w/grade 3 murmur last March. She was also in full blown IBD, probably as a
        result of the hyper-t. With proper hyper-t treatment, the HCM has resolved, though her
        murmur is now classified as a grade 3-4/6. The IBD is, mostly, under control.

        Some things to know:

        It is better for the animal in question (human or feline) to have single dose hyper-t
        therapy given in the morning. I don't know the particulars of why. I do know that my
        pharmacist told me that it's important.

        Atenolol may have a difficult adjustment period, but side effects usually go away.

        It is also very important to follow pills or gell caps with at least 5cc's of water or a
        small amount of food. If this isn't done, it can cause erosion in the throat and potentially
        mesoesophagus. In our "FILES" section there is an article about this and it's title is "Erosive
        Esophogitis.doc" and is worth the read.

        You probably already know this, but it is important to get Zacky's T4 thyroid retested in 2
        to 4 weeks and adjust the meds up or down if necessary. Initially we started Abby off at
        2.5mg twice a day. It was too much for her and drove her T4 levels down to 0.1. We tried
        2.5mg 1X day, and it was still too much. She is now on 1.25mg once a day.

        There is a feline hyper-t group and you can find them at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/

        Susan