Cardiomyopathy plus thyroid problem

  • lbevans102
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2 3:09 PM
      I'm new to this discussion. My beloved cat Zacky, 15, a small
      classic tabby, developed a heart murmur about 6 months ago. Two
      weeks ago at a routine vet exam is was louder, so we took an xray
      and EKG, which was abnormal, and went to a cat cardiologist.
      Diagnosis: cardiomyopathy, thickened heart walls and high heart
      rate, as well as a thyroid condition. Prescription: 1/2 a 25 mg
      atenolol pill in the morning and a thyroid pill in the evening.

      Zacky has no obvious symptoms, although he is sleeping more than in
      the past. He is still active part of the day and not evidently short
      of breath. Reading some of the posts it sounds like long-term
      survival from this is a lot more rare than a quick decline. But the
      cardiologist said the thyroid involvement was a good sign, as that
      can make for better response to treatment, as the thyroid may be the
      cause. Do people have comparable experience, and what happened?

      Anxious in Los Angeles
      Leslie
    • Lorraine Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2 7:34 PM
        Hi Leslie,

        My cat, Kit, altered male, now 14 1/2 years old, was diagnosed with
        hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and hyperthyroidism in Feb. 2002. After
        some trial and error on which medications he tolerated best, he now gets
        diltiazem + methimazole twice a day. It has been three years and he is
        doing very well.

        Add calcium oxalate bladder stones to the mix that required surgery in
        May 2002. It was a rough few months inititally with the diagnosing of
        his conditions, fine tuning the medications, and then the surgery.

        As I said, Kit is doing very well so far, and I wish all the best for
        Zacky and the other kitties on this list.

        Lorraine

        Diagnosis: cardiomyopathy, thickened heart walls and high heart

        rate, as well as a thyroid condition. Prescription: 1/2 a 25 mg

        atenolol pill in the morning and a thyroid pill in the evening.

        But the cardiologist said the thyroid involvement was a good sign, as that

        can make for better response to treatment, as the thyroid may be the

        cause. Do people have comparable experience, and what happened?

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3 6:23 AM
          Leslie,

          What your vet meant is that HyperT is a primary
          disease that can cause a secondary disease of HCM. The
          reason hyperT caused HCM is technically better to have
          than primary HCM is because you can treat the hyperT
          and technically eliminate the reason for the heart's
          hypertrophy. I believe a positive outcome is dependent
          on successful treatment of the hyperT, but also
          severity of the existing hypertrophy at the time of
          the hyperT diagnosis.

          Susan

          --- lbevans102 <lbevans@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to this discussion. My beloved cat Zacky,
          > 15, a small
          > classic tabby, developed a heart murmur about 6
          > months ago. Two
          > weeks ago at a routine vet exam is was louder, so we
          > took an xray
          > and EKG, which was abnormal, and went to a cat
          > cardiologist.
          > Diagnosis: cardiomyopathy, thickened heart walls and
          > high heart
          > rate, as well as a thyroid condition. Prescription:
          > 1/2 a 25 mg
          > atenolol pill in the morning and a thyroid pill in
          > the evening.
          >
          > Zacky has no obvious symptoms, although he is
          > sleeping more than in
          > the past. He is still active part of the day and not
          > evidently short
          > of breath. Reading some of the posts it sounds like
          > long-term
          > survival from this is a lot more rare than a quick
          > decline. But the
          > cardiologist said the thyroid involvement was a good
          > sign, as that
          > can make for better response to treatment, as the
          > thyroid may be the
          > cause. Do people have comparable experience, and
          > what happened?
          >
          > Anxious in Los Angeles
          > Leslie

          The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Susan Aufieri
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3 9:17 AM
            Hi Leslie,

            Welcome to the group, though I'm sorry you and Zacky have to go through this. As Susan
            said, it is "preferable" to have the hyper-t be the primary disease. Abby was diagnosed
            hyper-t, HCM w/grade 3 murmur last March. She was also in full blown IBD, probably as a
            result of the hyper-t. With proper hyper-t treatment, the HCM has resolved, though her
            murmur is now classified as a grade 3-4/6. The IBD is, mostly, under control.

            Some things to know:

            It is better for the animal in question (human or feline) to have single dose hyper-t
            therapy given in the morning. I don't know the particulars of why. I do know that my
            pharmacist told me that it's important.

            Atenolol may have a difficult adjustment period, but side effects usually go away.

            It is also very important to follow pills or gell caps with at least 5cc's of water or a
            small amount of food. If this isn't done, it can cause erosion in the throat and potentially
            mesoesophagus. In our "FILES" section there is an article about this and it's title is "Erosive
            Esophogitis.doc" and is worth the read.

            You probably already know this, but it is important to get Zacky's T4 thyroid retested in 2
            to 4 weeks and adjust the meds up or down if necessary. Initially we started Abby off at
            2.5mg twice a day. It was too much for her and drove her T4 levels down to 0.1. We tried
            2.5mg 1X day, and it was still too much. She is now on 1.25mg once a day.

            There is a feline hyper-t group and you can find them at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/

            Susan