New Members Murmurs/Diagnosis

  • jen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      For all our New Members with new / just diagnosed murmurs,

      I was in the same situation as you when I first got Deagan. He got
      gastroenteritis within 3 weeks of my getting him from the humane
      society. They told me he had a Grade IV murmur but never mentioned
      that it could be indicative of a problem. When I took him to my
      regular vet, she recommended he get an echo. We found out he had
      severe obstructive cardiomyopathy (HoCM). He is presently
      asymptomatic.

      Your first step should be finding a cardiologist or internist to
      perform an echocardiogram on your kitties to make an accurate
      diagnosis. Proper treatment can then be started.

      Unfortunately, murmurs are related only to the backflow through the
      valve and are *not* related to the severity of the heart disease. I
      had a kitten die suddenly at 10 months from HCM. She never had a
      murmur and showed no signs of illness.

      Good luck and keep us updated,

      jen, deagan and kira the dog