Re: Papillary Muscle Hypertrophy

  • jen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      Dee,

      Sorry to hear about your kids - wow four - I thought one was a lot of
      work!

      Deagan just had his recheck echo, and most of his hypertrophy is in
      his papillary muscles. He also has some mild free wall thickening
      and some thickening at the bottom of his septum, but his papillary
      muscles are far more enlarged than any other part of his heart.
      Perhaps they progress more quickly in some kitties? What did the
      cardiologist recommend?

      The aortic regurg. is rather interesting. Did they find any other
      structural problems with the left ventricle or outflow tract? Any
      stenosis in the aorta itself? Do you have the results of his other
      tests back yet?

      hugs to your guys and keep us updated,

      jen, deagan and kira the dog
    • Dee Dalton
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
        Jen, thank you so much for your message. Sorry for the late reply. I hope
        you won't mind answering some questions...

        When was Deagan's first echo that found the hypertrophied papillary muscles?
        Did the cardiologist say to what extent they were enlarged? Did he say how
        much the papillaries had changed since the first echo? How long from the
        first echo to the recheck? Was the LVFW and the IVS thickening new on the
        second echo? How old is Deagan and what breed is he? Is he taking any
        meds? Since this is my first experience with papillary muscle enlargement,
        I'm trying to learn whatever I can (whether it pertains to my boys or not).

        To answer your questions. My cardiologist did not recommend any medications
        for any of my boys, just a recheck in six months. For little Sinbad with
        the aortic regurgitation, the cardiologist did not find anything else wrong
        (except for the murmur). I specifically asked him about stenosis and
        pressure coming through the aortic valve because I had just been reading
        about that while I was waiting (before the echoes). He said there was no
        stenosis and he then measured the pressure at that valve and said it was
        normal. After the exam they did a Doppler BP which was also normal
        (110)--this ruled out hypertension as a cause. When I got home, I had my
        regular vet do a CBC and chemistry which showed a few abnormal levels:

        ALP 63.0 IU/L Range 10.0 to 42.0

        HGB 14.70 g/dL Range 8.0 to 13.0

        MCH 17.10 pg Range 13.0 to 17.0

        The big thing the cardiologist said to look for was WBC. Sinbad's was 16.7
        x 1,000/uL Range 5.5 - 20.0. My local vet said she did not see anything
        that would suggest infective endocarditis to her. She was not concerned
        about the abnormal items. If you have any insight about any of this, please
        let me know.

        Thank you again for your message and I look forward to hearing from you.
        Feel free to reply privately (dee.dalton@...). All the best to you and
        Deagan.

        Dee

        Message: 4