Re: [FH] Breathing/Fluid Question

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
      Pepper just had a visit today with her holistic vet. One of the things she (the vet) would like to do is gradually wean Pepper off of the pharmaceutical diuretics and replace it with dandelion root. Dandelion has a lot of vitamins and supports kidney and liver function.

      For starters, Pepper will be getting 2 drops of the tincture 3 times daily. I was concerned about the high alcohol content but Pepper doesn't seem to mind and only a few drops are not going to hurt her. I mixed it in Pepper's canned food and she never hesitated to eat it.

      This is the product she gave me -
      http://www.herbalist-alchemist.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=2&cart=67778 (If you're not already there, click on "single herbal extracts" and go to page 4.) The product is listed as "DDL" while the product I was given is "DDL-1". I'm not sure if there's a difference but can check as the manufacturer is only about 40 minutes from my house.

      Sue

      Thank you Lise and Sue! I sent the cardiologist a fax and asked
      about maybe adjusting the dosage. Maybe we'll hear something soon.
      I just worry about Hotspie's CRF if we increase the dose. Although,
      his kidney values have not signicantly increased since starting
      furosemide, according to the vets. Oh this does take alot of energy
      and oh, the stress! But I just love love love that little cat!!

      Thank you!

      michelle & hots

    • mahedabel
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
        I think the DDL-1 probably indicates that it's the Dandelion leaf and
        not root. I want to try Dandelion for Hotspie too and have been
        reading about it. Apparently the leaf is the part that's best used
        as a diuretic. If you don't mind, please let me know how it works
        for Pepper!

        michelle & hots
      • Sue B
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
          They do have a dandelion leaf product and that's DLL as opposed to DDL. I'll try to call tomorrow and find the difference between DDL and DDL-1.

          I'll let you know how it works.

          Sue

          I think the DDL-1 probably indicates that it's the Dandelion leaf and
          not root. I want to try Dandelion for Hotspie too and have been
          reading about it. Apparently the leaf is the part that's best used
          as a diuretic. If you don't mind, please let me know how it works
          for Pepper!

          michelle & hots

        • Donna M Speckman
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
            Hi Michelle,
            Certainly the fluid accumulation would appear to be the most likely cause
            of Hotspie's "juicy" purrs, but there may be something separate going on
            as well. Have you had Hotspie checked out for any kind of upper
            respiratory illness or had his throat or nasal passages scoped to see if
            there is any inflammation or obstruction? My Rosie exhibited the same
            "gurgling/choking purr" symptoms over a period of several months last
            year, and it turned out that she had two problems: a chronic herpes virus
            infection and a severe Bartonella infection. Rosie symptoms, other than
            the choking purr, were vague. She did not exhibit any eye or nasal
            discharge, and only sneezed occasionally. We treated the Bartonella with
            3 weeks of azythromycin, and the herpes with L-lysine (250mg BID). I'm
            not sure which of these illnesses was primarily responsible for Rosie's
            gurgling purr, but after treating these two illnesses, the purring problem
            resolved, and Rosie is back to being a non-stop motorboat.

            Hotspur's purr symptoms may indeed be related to his heart issues, but you
            might want to check out other possible causes as well, just in case.

            Glad to hear Hotspie is doing much better,
            Donna and Angels Mooch and Buster, Angel Soulmate Chiquita, and the rest
            of the gang: Rosie, Lily, Natalie, and Pablo

            <Hi. Hotspur has been taking 5mg of furosemide daily for the past
            week (before that it was 5mg EOD) plus 6.25mg Spironolactone daily
            for a couple months. He seems much better since he started the daily
            furosemide except when he purrs. When he purrs he sounds like he's
            blowing bubbles under water and then he will swallow hard and as he
            swallows his head juts forward. He eventually just stops the
            purring. I have called our cardiologist about this but haven't had a
            call back yet. Does anyone know what this might be? Is it fluid?
            Other than this, Hotspie seems really good - eating very well,
            drinking lots and very social. The purring problem is very upsetting
            for both of us because he likes to lay on my chest and be petted but
            that causes purring. This morning I told him he doesn't have to purr
            for me to know he loves me and he stopped for a while but then he
            started again and finally had to lay on the bed next to me instead.
            I feel like our vets have just given up on us.

            Thank you!

            Michelle & Hotspie>

          • Deena
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 2, 2005
              Interesting thread guys. I'd like to make a few comments.

              Recognizing signs of fluid build-up:
              It's nice to see so many people discussing how they determine when
              fluid is beginning to build. This is one of the most important
              tricks you can learn. Each kitty will be different, but it is so
              important in managing this disease. For Mr Pepe, his chest would
              expand. You wouldn't notice it by looking, but his harness would
              begin to get tighter. So I took a magic marker and put 3 lines on
              his harness to indicate severity: ok, start to watch, and holy-
              sh*t.

              Purring:
              I know you were kidding about trying to prevent the kitty from
              purring since it sounded painful. But are folks aware that purring
              is a way cats use to heal? A gypsy saying is, "have a bone that
              won't heal, surround yourself with purring cats". Studies have
              shown that the frequency that cat's purr at, speeds the bodies
              ability to heal. Hospitals are now using sound therapy based on
              kitty purrs. So you want your kitty to purr as much as possible.
              People always equate purring with contentment. But a cat will purr
              when very sick and uncomfortable as a way to self-medicate. It was
              one of the tools I used to tell me Mr Pepe was ready for help over
              the bridge. When he stopped purring, I felt he was no longer trying
              to heal himself and wanted to cross.

              Dandelion as a diuretic:
              I've noticed talk of vets prescribing dandelion ROOT as a diuretic.
              Whole Dog Journal just did an article on heart disease and also
              mentioned root. According to my herbal books and the research I did
              last year, for maximum diuretic action you want to use the LEAF.
              The root is the liver/kidney tonic and the flower the analgesic. I
              haven't needed to pay attention to new findings, so I'm wondering if
              this is a recent discovery. I even reviewed this with Mary Tilford
              who is pretty much the herbal DVM queen on these things. She told
              me that I wanted leaf for the diuretic, but the other components
              were also helpful. I used a whole plant glycerine formula (no
              alcohol)to start. Towards the end I found the liquid too short
              acting, so added a leaf-only pill at night. I'm not trying to
              second guess anyone's vet, I just want to find out if ROOT is now
              the recommend diuretic so I stop telling people leaf.