Re: enlardged heart-just diagnosed-guidance please!

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      > My cat Sushi is 22 and a half years old. He is hyperthyroid, has
      > transient diabetes, CRF, is anemic and now was diagnosed with an
      > enlarged heart with a heart murmur; level 1. by chest x-ray. Is
      > there anyone out there with the same problems. How do I help his
      > heart. The vet said that heart medications are extremely hard on
      the
      > kidneys. We have an appointment on Monday to see his regular vet,
      > meanwhile any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is receivng
      > daily subq's of 100 mls which we are going to cut back, but I gave
      > almost the full amount this afternoon because he was badly
      > dehydrated. Any info or suggestions as to where I might find
      info.
      > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      If Sushi is asymptomatic and the heart murmur/enlarged heart was an
      incidental finding, I would consider not treating him for his heart
      at this time. I had a cat with an enlarged heart on X-ray for
      several years, was never advised to treat, and was completely
      ignorant about heart disease at the time so didn't do anything about
      it. She died at 17 of something unrelated to her heart and never
      had any problems due to it. Unless Sushi is experiencing problems
      because of his heart, I would not treat right now, but this is just
      my opinion. Do discuss it with your vet.

      Sarah.