Re: [FH] Diet and Water Intake

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- MS <ms3213@...> wrote:
      As I read through the posts, I notice that many cats
      > out there are on
      > diuretics or are having their fluids limited to keep
      > their lungs from
      > filling up. Tavy has HCM and I don't want to do
      > anything that might
      > increase the likelihood of her developing fluid in
      > her lungs. Should I be
      > limiting her water intake at this point?

      Jenifer,

      Cats who are on a diuretic are in heart failure. Heart
      failure occurs when the heart can no longer keep a
      very complicated system in balance and fluid backs up
      and seeps into the lungs. The fluid intake you see
      mentioned is subQ fluids and this is an issue with
      cats that are also CRF as HCM is a disease that occurs
      secondary to CRF. So oral water consumption should not
      be a concern.

      Susan

      =====

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250