Re: [FH] enlardged heart-just diagnosed-guidance please!

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2005
      In a message dated 1/29/2005 6:02:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      sushi335@... writes:

      > My cat Sushi is 22 and a half years old. He is hyperthyroid, has
      > transient diabetes, CRF, is anemic and now was diagnosed with an
      > enlarged heart with a heart murmur; level 1. by chest x-ray. Is
      > there anyone out there with the same problems. How do I help his
      > heart. The vet said that heart medications are extremely hard on the
      > kidneys. We have an appointment on Monday to see his regular vet,
      > meanwhile any advice would be greatly appreciated. He is receivng
      > daily subq's of 100 mls which we are going to cut back, but I gave
      > almost the full amount this afternoon because he was badly
      > dehydrated. Any info or suggestions as to where I might find info.
      > would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

      Wow, 22.5!!! That's excellent!

      The heart meds your vet was talking about are probably diuretics, which are
      standard treatment for many heart conditions. There are issues with treating a
      CRF cat, but it has been done. Did Sushi go into congestive heart failure
      (i.e., fluid on the lungs) or were there other problems which led to this new
      diagnosis? I ask because if he wasn't in CHF, he may not have fluid issues at
      this time which wouldn't interfere with the sub-q fluids you're giving,
      especially if he is given meds which directly affect the action of his heart (like
      atenolol) as opposed to treat symptoms of heart failure (like lasix or other
      diuretics). Has the vet disucssed specific meds with you yet?

      Lisa