Re: [FH] not using litter box

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2005
      Hi Kate,

      In a message dated 1/28/05 10:07:59 PM, katesilverstein@... writes:

      << Izzy, my 3 year old HCM kitty (diagnosed when she went into congestive
      heart

      failure at the end of this past November), has stopped using the litter box.

      There are various reasons why a cat stops using a litter box and/or changes
      from any habitual behavior. Since cats are naturally fastidious and
      routine-loving, changing from this nature generally indicates "something" is wrong. That
      something could be anything...from the cat was stressed (say, by a loud noise
      or a dog coming around the house) while using the box one day to digestive
      upset to general malaise.

      << I know that this is usually a behavioral thing >>

      Actually, it's usually a *physical* thing...such as a urinary issue (eg
      bacterial infection, sterile cystitis, crystals) or a digestive issue (eg
      constipation, diarrhea, parasites).

      << I want to be sure that this isn't a sign that she is feeling sick or
      something is

      going on medically. >>

      Then it would be useful to evaluate her behavior in general (does she
      look/act "sick"?...what other symptoms is she displaying?) and also have her
      evaluated by a professional, incl a urinalysis and/or stool sample. // Rosemary
    • lclarizia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
        In a message dated 1/28/2005 10:07:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        katesilverstein@... writes:

        > I know that this is usually a behavioral thing but because she has HCM I
        > want to be sure that this isn't a sign that she is feeling sick or something
        > is
        > going on medically. Has anyone experienced this?

        It's probably behavioral. Cats have a limited number of ways to communicate
        with their loving, but not-so-bright (as a cat sees it) humans. Izzy is not
        feeling up to par, knows something is wrong, and if she's getting diuretics,
        needs to pee a lot more than before. This is probably her way of telling you
        she's not enjoying the experience.

        Baby Boy is a fuss-kitty. If His Nibs' litterbox is not up to his exacting
        standards, he'll let me know by peeing on the couch.

        Lisa