RE: not using litter box

  • jazzcat444
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi Kate,
      It is hard to say why cats stop using their box sometimes. Izzy
      might not be feeling that well from the HCM or perhaps there is
      something else amiss that you might want to get checked out by your
      vet. However, I do have a couple of additional suggestions you
      might try. Have you tried the Health Alert litter? It is a litter
      that comes with special granules that are designed to turn blue in
      the presence of blood in the urine (from UT or bladder infection).
      It comes in a blue & white box and costs about $10, I bought it at
      Petsmart. Here is the link:
      http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%
      3Eprd_id=845524441808410&ASSORTMENT%3C%
      3East_id=2534374302023690&FOLDER%3C%
      3Efolder_id=2534374302033738&bmUID=1106971976108

      If that turns out negative, and you can't find a clinical problem,
      you might try Cat Attract litter. It is a scoopable litter that is
      specially formulated with an herbal attractant to draw cats to their
      box. I could not detect any scent, but within 30 seconds of opening
      the bag, both my cats made a beeline to the bag to check it out. It
      comes in a red bag and costs about $11 for 20# bag (not cheap, but
      worth every penny if it works for you). I have had good success
      with this, as my cats have "gone off the box" now and then for
      reasons I never really figured out. It comes with a little booklet
      inside with litterbox behavior tips and coupons for next purchase.
      It has a 100% money back guarantee. I also got this at Petsmart.
      The product link is at:
      http://www.preciouscat.com/WebPages/catattract.html (also on the
      Petsmart website)

      Hope that helps! Good luck!

      -Renee, Chessie & Peanut
    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2005
        Hi Kate,

        In a message dated 1/28/05 10:07:59 PM, katesilverstein@... writes:

        << Izzy, my 3 year old HCM kitty (diagnosed when she went into congestive
        heart

        failure at the end of this past November), has stopped using the litter box.

        There are various reasons why a cat stops using a litter box and/or changes
        from any habitual behavior. Since cats are naturally fastidious and
        routine-loving, changing from this nature generally indicates "something" is wrong. That
        something could be anything...from the cat was stressed (say, by a loud noise
        or a dog coming around the house) while using the box one day to digestive
        upset to general malaise.

        << I know that this is usually a behavioral thing >>

        Actually, it's usually a *physical* thing...such as a urinary issue (eg
        bacterial infection, sterile cystitis, crystals) or a digestive issue (eg
        constipation, diarrhea, parasites).

        << I want to be sure that this isn't a sign that she is feeling sick or
        something is

        going on medically. >>

        Then it would be useful to evaluate her behavior in general (does she
        look/act "sick"?...what other symptoms is she displaying?) and also have her
        evaluated by a professional, incl a urinalysis and/or stool sample. // Rosemary
      • lclarizia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2005
          In a message dated 1/28/2005 10:07:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          katesilverstein@... writes:

          > I know that this is usually a behavioral thing but because she has HCM I
          > want to be sure that this isn't a sign that she is feeling sick or something
          > is
          > going on medically. Has anyone experienced this?

          It's probably behavioral. Cats have a limited number of ways to communicate
          with their loving, but not-so-bright (as a cat sees it) humans. Izzy is not
          feeling up to par, knows something is wrong, and if she's getting diuretics,
          needs to pee a lot more than before. This is probably her way of telling you
          she's not enjoying the experience.

          Baby Boy is a fuss-kitty. If His Nibs' litterbox is not up to his exacting
          standards, he'll let me know by peeing on the couch.

          Lisa