Re: [FH] Re: CoQ10 Questions - also BARF feeding

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi Amy,

      In a message dated 1/28/05 12:51:38 PM, flemmingfarms@... writes:

      << anybody out there feed BARF? >>

      If by "BARF" you mean "bones and raw food," then, no, as we don't use bone
      (the raw meaty bones feeding concept was developed for dogs, who have a diff.
      evolutionary diet than do cats). If you mean "biologically appropriate raw
      food," then yes, we have been feeding a fresh-food raw diet for some yrs.

      << Also, has anybody
      switched to feeding BARF while there cat was being
      treated for a cardio problem? >>

      We didn't switch while being treated, b/c the cat was already eating fresh
      food beforehand.

      << Have you found that it
      helped? >>

      This is a difficult question to answer directly, b/c the purpose of food is
      to provide nutrients and energy in a form that is appropriate to the species so
      that the body can repair and maintain itself...and cats, being obligate
      carnivores, have very strict requirements for certain nutrients, which are found in
      a limited range of prey animals in the wild. So, feeding a poor-quality
      ("quality" in the nutritional sense means the ability of the food to meet the needs
      of the consumer), unbalanced diet stresses the entire body in that it doesn't
      provide the energy and nutrients a cat can readily use. Conversely, feeding a
      high-quality, well-balanced, meat-based, species-appropriate diet "helps" the
      entire body in that it provides nutrients and energy in a form the cat can
      use...which then reduces stresses on the entire body, which then indirectly
      reduces stresses on the heart (which works in concert with the whole body).

      There is information on feline nutrition and fresh-food feeding for cats
      here:

      Information on nutrition:

      1. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
      2. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
      3. www.catinfo.org
      4. www.speedyvet.com/nutrition
      5. www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html
      6. http://rocquoone.com/diet_and_health.htm

      Information on fresh-food diet:

      1. www.holisticat.com (see FAQs, articles, and archives for raw feeding,
      recipes, etc)
      2. www.serve.com/BatonRouge/nutrition/fresh_cat_food.htm
      3. http://touchmoon.com/dotters/raw/kitties.html
      4. www.listservice.net/wellpet

      Nutrient databases and calcium calculator:

      1. www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl
      2. www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html
      3. www.dataweb.net/~sham/nutrient/index.html

      // Rosemary