Re: [FH] questions for cardiologist

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2005
      In a message dated 1/9/2005 12:00:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      katy_van@... writes:

      > hi. i take belle back to the cardiologist on friday for her second
      > check up. she was diagnosed on september 2, 2004 with HCM. i already
      > knew a little about HCM because my 33 yr old brother had recently
      > passed away from it. the day she was diagnosed would have been my
      > brothers 34th birthday so my nerves were already pretty frazzled.
      > anyways i didnt ask any questions and wanted to see what i should be
      > asking and being aware of. i know it wasnt advanced she does not have
      > any symptoms and she was given altenolol. the only question i can
      > think of is what is her scale of heart murmur. thanks for your help.

      Hi Katy,

      I'm sorry to hear about your brother ... my gosh, how awful for you and your
      family!

      There will be several things you'll want to know, if only so you can monitor
      her progress over time. I would ask what her heart measurements are right
      now, and how far the cardiologist thinks they are from normal. I would also ask
      what her ejection fraction is (how much blood is being ejected from the left
      ventricle) and how that compares to normal as well. You will also want to know
      what her heart rate is, and of course what grade the murmur is. It's great
      that she's asymptomatic -- much better for her.

      Lisa